We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

We want to have a week's break. We're looking for somewhere hot on the coast and will pay up to 300 per night. We are a couple with a five year old.

I looked at Shutters at 1770 which looks great. Lady Elliot wasn't very luxurious although looked nice. We are going in November. Any suggestions?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

Do you want to swim in the sea? Calm waters or surf? Stinger season is on so the further north you go, although it will be warmer - the stingers are about. Do you want self-contained or resort accommodation? There are plenty of luxury apartments all along the coast within your price range but not all offer other facilities within their complex ie restaurant, spa etc. It's a big coastline so more info on what it is your after will help narrow your choices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

I don't mind it it's resort or self - contained. I like both surf and still water but obviously want to avoid stingers. I have been to the sunshine coast and noosa many times so would like to avoid them.

I'm also not much of a fan of Port Douglas and Palm Cove. I'd love to find somewhere new with good beach access and a view. Any suggestions would be great.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 10:42
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

One resort that is hard to beat for views and beach access is the Rolling Surf Resort, Caloudra.

Get a top beach facing unit, and you get the use of the roof top.

Great spot.

http://www.rollingsurfresort.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

OK - so the obvious alternatives are Fraser Coast or Island, Magnetic Island maybe or go further south to Gold Coast or Coolangatta/Tweed area. I can't recommend specific properties in those areas as they aren't spots we choose to stay. Our favourite Qld destinations are the Whitsundays or Sunshine Coast but wouldn't go to Whitsundays after Oct. We particularly like Novotel Twin Waters as a family resort and for its great beach. Hyatt Sanctuary Cove is gorgeous but not on the beach. Has a great lagoon pool though. Maybe look at going out to Couran Cove on Stradbroke Island?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

sadly Couran Cove has closed down - it was a favourite of ours for many years but a victim or poor management and economic downturn :-(

we just spent a fabulous few days with our kids at The Beach resort at Cabarita - absolute beachfront and so much to do and see around that area and only 20 miutes to Byron Bay.

Otherwise I second Twin Waters - again a family favourtie although we far prefer the Grand Mercure section to Novotel.

Not sure if the Gold Coast is your thing but we have also has a magnificent holiday at Nirvana at Kirra Beach and the Marriott has just had a complete Reno.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

You're kidding 40ish - there's been so many shut down the last few years it's getting hard to keep up but I would have thought with its proximity to Brisbane & the popularity of the resort that CC would have been safe!

If the water temps are up in northern NSW I agree with heading there. Was going to suggest Salt at Kingscliff but wasn't sure if the temps would be OK yet???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

Here's a few more choices to consider 6.25pm as i write ;).

We stayed at Bargara a few months back and the beach looked lovely (manager assures me it gets surf) ocean views, short drive to an amazing restaurant in Bundaberg plus the option of a day trip out to Lady Elliot. You'll need to check Mon Repos to see what is happeniing with turtles

IMHO Rolling Surf in Nov is like being Main Beach on GC or Behind Hastings (st) in Noosa... there are a few other options around Caloundra that are less $$ and still have a walk ( you need to look at real estate agents) Sunshine Beach screams as another choice if you want to do Sunshine Coast ( which you said NO)

Whits in early Nov can be amazing ( I honestly thought oct was about the end until we had to go several times in Nov) calm seas and warm before the wet sets in, however unlikely at 300pn to meet the $$

CC and so many island resorts are suffering from charging too much for too long for not a great experience when people can head OS and get better bang for their buck

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

1770 is lovely, and there's no stingers there. Too far south.

And you can do a day trip out to Lady Musgrave Island which is great for snorkelling, birdwatching and turtles which nest there from November.

It's much quieter than the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast beaches, and would be my preference over them.

You could look at North Stradbroke Island, there is some really luxurious accommodation there with beautiful beaches. Accessed from Cleveland (near Brisbane) but on the bay.

On the issue of Couran Cove, on South Stradbroke, it's problem was access, (not accessed from Brisbane) resort layout, price, and nothing else on the island. And not popular for those reasons. Even Tippler's resort that had been there since I can remember closed nearly 2 years ago also. It used to be good to visit via our boat for lunch.

That said, 1770 or North Stradbroke would be my choices.

enjoy LTB

Edited: 23 October 2011, 20:28
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

Hi,

It really depends on your own interests ?? Whether you want a beachfront resort with surf or calm waters where you can go snorkeling etc.etc

Its stinger season in Nth Qld which means you cannot swim in the ocean without a protected stinger suit.

www.marinestingers.com.au/stingers/

Its a real shame Sth Stradbroke has closed down as personally I thought it was a wonderful family resort which offered heaps of activities; plus it had the added bonus of a lovely patrolled surfing beach.

Twin Waters I also recommend especially the Grand Mecure Apartments which 40C mentioned. We have stayed there a few times & have always enjoyed ourselves.

Noosa is a lovely town which offers heaps - fab restaurants & cafes - plus a lovely safe beach & a wonderful National park to take family bush walks.

There are other destinations which offer heaps too which are perfect for families it does however come down to your own family interests. ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can we go in Qld that's warm and luxurious?

thank you for all your replies. I think we'll try 1770. It looks gorgeous.