We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advice - Take 2

Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advice - Take 2

Hello, I think I may of over complicated my last request / post so I will try again. Have firmed up more details so hopefully my questions wont be as confusing.

Day 1 Arrive Sunday Midday - Drive to Kakadu O/N at Aurora

Day 2 Kakadu National Park visiting Ubirr and Nourlangie, staying overnight at Cooindo

Day 3 Early Yellow Water Cruise, then drive onto Katherine where we are booked on the Evening Cruise (4.30pm start)

Day 4 Drive to Batchelor, Day in Litchfield NP staying overnight at Rum Jungle.

Day 5 Drive to Darwin, Explore Darwin, Mindle Markets for evening, accomodation booked on the waterfront

Day 6 Explore Darwin

Day 7 Morining Flight Home

Q1 Looking for advice on hiring a car most companies seem to offer 100Kms per day. Can someone estimate for me how many Kms approx my itinerary looks like (understand can only guesstimate) and it will determine how far we go in both Litchfield and Kakadu

Q2 Looking for some advice on Katherine to Litchfield, where to stop off and how to make the most of the short time we have in both Litchfield and Katherine without spoiling our time and doing too much.

Q3 Again similar to Q2 driving to Kakadu and first day there how to make the most of the time we have without doing to much. WHat would you suggest we see on the way , 2nd day etc so we dont back track too much.

Thanks TA

TinTin

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

Day 1 say 220 kms

Day 2 170 kms

Day 3 400 kms

Day 4 320 kms

Day 5 120 kms depends on what you visit.

Day 2 you go from Aurora Hotel to Ubirr rock/ Border Store/ Cahills Crossing then into Jabiru, visit Kakadu Information Centre just after the road junction Ubirr/Jabiru/Darwin/ Katherine, then Nourlangie and on to Cooinda.

Day 3 continue down this road to Pine Creek then on to Katherine. Good sealed road all the way.

Litchfield ..stop at Adelaide River and have a meal at the pub, Barra and chips is popular but order before the buses arrive. visit the War Cemetery. Have a drive around Batchelor then visit the waterfalls. Make Wangi Falls your last stop as most try to get there for their lunch stop and on the return you are only driving to Rum Jungle. This section you will have to retrace your steps. If you want to when at Wangi continue on the road, (it does bring you to Darwin but it is gravel after the Finiss River crossing and most hire cars are not allowed on gravel roads) and a few kms on is the turnoff to Bamboo creek and the old tin mine. roughish track but 2WD.

Blyth Homestead and Reynold river Track is 4WD only, some deep creek crossings.

Q3 go for a Jumping Crocodile boat cruise, see Windows on the Wetland (free). Also closer to Darwin is Fogg Dam, the old rice growing area at Humpty Doo good area for bird watching but don't even think of putting your big toe in the water. If you see any snakes they will most likely be file snakes, harmless but excellent swimmers.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

"Day 3 Early Yellow Water Cruise" Just be aware the breakfast included is not on the boat. You finish the cruise about 9am and then have breakfast at the resort.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

From Katherine to Litchfield there is a side stop on the LHS called Emerald Springs and this is a great stop for coffee / lunch.

When in Adelaide River go to the war graves, only a couple of km out of town but IMO worth the trip.

Lou

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

enjoy.....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

For your Q2, I know you don't want to cram too much in to your trip, but if you are interested in WW2 sites with structures, there is a fascinating one just outside of Adelaide River that isn't really well advertised and not too many people know about. We had been up here for years before we stumbled on it. It isn't too much out of your way as well.

It is the Snake Creek Armament Depot. This is a complex of many bunkers/shelters that were connected by a railway line (complete with cuttings). You can drive along the old railway line (easily in a 2WD) poking your nose into all the bunkers. Lots of slabs from other buildings with only a couple still standing (including the laboratory building). An interesting diversion.

To get to it, you turn to head out of town from Adelaide River towards Darwin. Just on the bend as you are about to leave town, you turn left on Coach Rd and cross the railway line. 500m from the railway line there is a junction (**1**)where you turn right and follow the old Stuart Hwy for about 2.5km. That will bring you to a road junction (**2**). Turn left and follow this old road the 1km to the site (**3**)

(**1**) 13 14.000S 131 05.827E

(**2**) 13 13.210S 131 05.937E

(**2**) 13 13.331S 131 05.377E

If you open up the Google home page, select 'Maps' up the top of the page, then cut and paste the coordinates above into the search bar, you can see each of these points on the map (select Satellite view). The series of bunkers don't show up on the map as they are all earth covered but are still in pretty good condition.

Cheers.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 23:31
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

Snake Creek was in use after WW2, up to around 1962 and it is now a heritage site. The only building still standing was built during the 1950s and it was the Laboratory.

There are other WW2 sites in Adelaide River area, including the hospital and barracks, their site is in Dorat Road.

7. Re: Trip Advice - Take 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:16