We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

I am thinking of driving from London to Sydney by London Bus.

I would like to drive down to Singapore then get a vehicle ferry to Darwin then onto Sydney. Has anyone got any idea if a car ferry runs to Darwin or Oz main land as I would love to do this trip before I go to my final resting place. Please advise.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

no ferry.

u would have to arrange the transport of the bus to australia as cargo from singapore.

and good luck with all that (you'll need it)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,845 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

I wish you well in your research. I did the Silk Road overland from Beijing to Istanbul a few years ago. We went via the 'Stans and I suspect nothing much has changed since then. It's no longer the hippie dream as places like Iran, Afghanistan and even western Pakistan are practically impassable to tourist vehicles these days.

And as lien says, there's no ferry from Singapore - and freight on a double-decker bus will make your eyes water. :(

Anyhow, take a look at this blog about a local radio host who went the opposite way via Russia a couple of years back. He drove a 4WD and used the small inter-island ferries through Indonesia. http://melbournetolondon.com/

Best of luck,

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

I did this about 20 years ago travelling the other way. My objective was to use rail rather than drive. The section from Darwin to Singapore was amongst the more challenging sections. As you will be driving, a bus, there may be ways and means.

Sadly Cooks have stopped publishing their International timetable but I have the second last issue. And drawing on my earlier experience.

There is a ferry service from Penang to Medan (Sumatra) I think it carries vehicles. Journey time is 6 hours.

From the other end of Sumatra their is a ferry across the Strait from Panjang to Merak (Java).

From Banjuwangi (Gilimanuk) their is a ferry across to Bali.

There are ferry services from Jakarta, Surabaya and Bali to Dili (East Timor) or Jayapura (West Papua). The later destination is not recommended without receiving watertight authority before leaving Jakarta.

From these places you are stuck.

There is also a direct ferry from Medan to Jakarta.

At some point you will have to ship your vehicle. Probably from Jakarta or Surbaya to wherever an available ship is sailing to in Australia.

Please post a trip report of your experiences.

I have long held a desire to do some travel on Indonesiona ferries but have not as yet been able to find the time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

Further reflection on the question has led me to a believed existence of a freight service between Darwin & Dili. A long established operator, Perkins, have been providing coastal services around northern Australia for decades. They were part of P&O.

They are now part of Toll Group and operate a regular service Singapore-Dili-Darwin as well as services between Dili and Darwin. Details can be found at chambernt.com.au/documents/File/Perkins_-_Bu…

You should also look at the Toll website for contact details

tollglobalforwarding.com/global-locations.ht…

Toll Group are a large and reputable freight company and are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange.

Please post a trip report of your adventures

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have considered avoiding Western Pakistan and looking at the route through Vladivostok. then onto Japan then Oz.

I have considered looking round for advertisers to place web addresses on the side of the bus to help with fuel costs. i would keep a video of all adventures and place a regular You Tube update. There is another family going with us with two young children. They will receive fill in education for missing schooling by my wife who is a maths teacher. The life experience I hope for them will be second to none. I would look forward to posting our progress through this site.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

u might like to read thru this too

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

I have nothing to offer but just wanted to say how refreshing it is to read the prospects of a genuine traveller. They are few and far between these days.

I hope all of your adventure comes to fruition and its memorable for you.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

There is a barge that goes from Darwin, Nhulunbuy then onto Dilli. It was run by Perkins Barges but they were taken over by Toll a couple of years ago. Try TOLL as they would be able to point you in the right direction although you may need to speak to the local Darwin office? Lou

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

Perkins now TOLL have landing barges and larger vessels running to Singapore and Dilli. See their web site but if it is a double decker bus(London bus) then a landing barge would be the only vessel suitable but it is open to the elements. Toll took over many other transport companies and sadly their prices then increased dramatically.

USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Singapore to Darwin

You may want to contact Jim Rogers (the investor who worked with Soros). If you look at his website, he did travel around the world by automobile. Looking at his route map, it appears that he went from Singapore to Indonesia to maybe East Timor and then to Australia (or backwards).

I am not going to provide a link to his website in case the moderators frown upon this. Just Google his name (see above) and you will find his website and his trip around the world.

Good luck. Sounds like fun.