We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Hi,

If anyone could help me with suggestions for part of a road trip on our homeward leg being Alice Springs-Longreach, I would be really grateful as I am struggling with this part of our road trip on how to break it up.

Google maps show this as a 1354km journey or 15hrs.

If there isn't any places of interest along the way we can do 7hr drive each day with 1 night stop somewhere?, but happy to break this up to a 3 day/2 Night trip with 5hr driving days instead, if anyone can suggest places to stop?

Googlemaps show Bouila, Middleton, Winton.

We are a Family of 2 Adults & 2 teenage boys 14&16yrs heading home to the Gold Coast after a Road trip

Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
9 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Are you talking about the Plenty Highway ? And then the Kennedy ?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Hi hamirlver

When I put into googlemaps Alice Spings to Long Reach it says via Plenty Hwy/State Route 12 and State Route 62 which gives me the distance & towns I mention in my post

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Im just checking if you are aware it is a rather remote route, and a narrow seal. Some traffic from aboriginal communities etc

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

I am just realising it is a very remote road. Looks Like Alice Springs-Bouila is really the first stop for Accommodation after an 800km drive on a basic road!. we will be in a 4WD Ute but Is there a better route you can recommend to get from Alice Springs-Gold Coast over a 4 Night Period?. We are on a 3wk Road trip coming up from Port Augusta/Cooper Pedy way to Ayers Rock so don't want to return that way.

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

That route will have very little traffic on it and very few facilities. It would take you longer than 15 hours as Google times are based on no stops, no traffic delays and travelling at an average speed of 90kmh which is not really practical on many sections.

A longer way but on a good sealed road all the way is Alice Springs, Tennant Creek/three Ways, Mt Isa Cloncurry Longreach and there are more facilities on this route. Be aware though on fuel across the Barkly Highway and if there is a strong headwind it can play havoc with your fuel consumption. You can break that into 3 days driving with reasonable accommodation at each nights stop.

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

Thank You LsBob. I will look into the option you suggest

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

LS suugested best way for facilities. Mt isa is a good stop as well as augthella cloncurry- longreach winton etc

I would only drive the other way if you have extra fuel and happy to drive the whole way as very remote, very few cars and no towns.

It is def longer but you can stop at devils marbles for a lunch break and then onto three ways.

Its a long straight road on the Barkly..

Wallumbilla Qld
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

I imagine you are home by now Diedre. How did you find the Barkley? We are heading in the opposite direction to you in about 3 weeks in a small truck. Hoping the road is a good road. have you any advice being a recent traveller on that road??

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach

https:/…20Highway

always check here or facebook NTROADREPORT

Reply to: Help for overnight stops on Drive Alice Spings to Longreach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted