We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks around Alice Springs

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Two weeks around Alice Springs

We have planned 2 weeks for Alice Springs, Macdonnell Ranges, Kings Canyon and Uluru in August. Reading other threads I see people who think 4 days is too long for the Macdonnell Ranges and Glen Helen is the only place to stop on the way to KC. We like bush camping and light hiking. We've got an off road camper trailer and 4WD. At the moment I have the following planned:

1.Alice Springs

2. Standley Chasm camp

3. West Macdonnell Ranges for 6 days (still reading up on the campsites but envisage a couple of nights here and there, moving on/through toward KC)

4. Kings Canyon for 3 nights

5. Uluru for 4 nights

We then head to Perth via the Great Central Road.

I've read about the East Macdonnell Ranges and wonder if a couple of days there might be a good idea. Not too fussed about spending much time in Alice Springs itself.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcome.

15 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
94 reviews
11. Re: Two weeks around Alice Springs

Tennant has a decent supermarket with all the bits- will be better than Camo.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
12. Re: Two weeks around Alice Springs

Thanks for that info re the supermarket at Tennant Creek. Someone we know with the same camper trailer as us has suggested we take a bit of a detour down from Camo to Policemans water hole (or similar name) then across to the Devil's Marbles which would mean not going through Tennant Creek. We'll see how we are going and decide at the time.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
13. Re: Two weeks around Alice Springs

How have you found the campground at Yulara? Terrible reviews on TA. Not sure if we need to book in advance for late August but don't want to end up in the over flow down near the generators as I have been reading. Looks like the powered sites are better than unpowered, even though we don't need power.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
94 reviews
14. Re: Two weeks around Alice Springs

Yes- agree , we took a powered site for same reason. However it is a thing you do find a bit that the generators at heaps of places do make a bit of noise. But to be honest you forget about them.

As there is really only one camp ground in school hols it gets full, I wouldn't agree that it is terrible though- just busy. The facilities were ok and big facility blocks.

/

Ok on the Sandover. There will be some community 'traffic ' where would you camp ? There are several communities along there. Dont travel this at night too. Im not sure if or how much has been sealed. But it used to be an awful road.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
15. Re: Two weeks around Alice Springs

Not sure we will go via the Sandover to Alice Springs. We'd check road conditions first but we do have a full off road trailer. I think it would be better if we were travelling with others.

Reply to: Two weeks around Alice Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted