We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Activities Tours

Hi we have 2 days in Alice Springs. What are the top things to do? Which walking trails are most recommended?

Was considering a hot air balloon ride but worried about safety has anyone done this?

We would have already been to Uluru and Kings Canyon.

Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,971 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Activities Tours

West McDonnell Ranges one full day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Activities Tours

We will be driving from Kings Canyon to Alice Springs, was thinking of stopping off at Glen Helen, I can't add another night to our trip and stay there unfortunately, is this doable?

Also it will be in July

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Activities Tours

No point driving all the way from KC, via west macs to Alice you will be in the car all day long, and not really get time to get out and see anything . You could maybe if you left really early and then made a point of stopping at Ormiston, Ochre pits and Simpsons or Ellery.

BUt one way hire of a 4wd will be pricey if you are only really needing it for 2 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Activities Tours

Thanks for your reply. I have already organised a 4WD hire car one way. We are flying into Uluru, staying 3 nights, leaving early on day 4 for Kings Canyon do the Rim walk stay the night then leave early the next day for Alice Springs, which route will be best and should I do any stop offs?

Also with Mac Ranges are there hikes that are most recommended? Thanks

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Activities Tours

So, its about 4 hours depending on the road condition without stops.

Most recommended depends on if you want long or short and if you want to swim or not. You can also access parts of the Larapinta trail

Redbank- gorge walk about 45 mins

Ormiston- 2 options for a long walk along the rim 3 hours or some shorter.

Ellery -1.5 hr loop walk is good

Ochre pits- short walk in

Simpsons.- short walk.

You will only have 3-4 hours to choose which walk or visit and then you should be back on the road into Alice and there well before dusk.

all here ...

http://www.macdonnellranges.com/

https://nt.gov.au/leisure/parks-reserves/fin…

try searching the forum as well as there are many recent questions on same.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,116 posts
125 reviews
6. Re: Activities Tours

We did a hot air balloon ride, but it was in Canberra and not Alice Springs. I think these balloon companies have an excellent safety record, so I wouldn’t worry about that. But, if you have a fear of heights, you could feel uncomfortable.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,971 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Activities Tours

If you have 4WD, drive to AS via Glen Helen. Stay at GH 1 nights if you can. Then next day visit all the places listed by hamiriver on the way to AS.

Reply to: Activities Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted