We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outback and northern territory tours

Auckland N Z
Level Contributor
62 posts
84 reviews
Outback and northern territory tours

Can anyone suggest a high quality and experienced camping tour company that takes relatively small numbers to areas in the northern territory and outback areas which tends to cater for those in their 40's and above? Also what weather can we expect in early to mid april?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,060 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

I don't know what part of the Northern Territory you are interested in, but we took a couple of short (less than one day) tours with Travel North in Katherine and were pleased with the service. I think they also do multi-day camping tours, so you might want to check their website.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Odyssey provides high end camping tours in the northern part of the state Litchfield, kakadu, Katherine and in Central Australia recommend WayOutback Tours.

www.odysaf.com.au

www.wayoutback.com.au

In April the weather in the north will still be warm but great time to go as all creeks and waterfalls still flowing and rain should have just about stopped. In Central Australia weather should be great warm sunny clear days and clear cool nights.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Nozzie - Thanks for your reply to me yesterday. I continued to investigate outfits that offer smaller tours in the Top End and followed up on your suggestion to check out Odyssey Tours. I'm not sure how it is that I missed this company before, but, thanks to your mentioning it, I did yesterday, and think their "3 Day Splendour" tour looks great - plus, its schedule fits with ours. It looks like it would take us to sites we want to see, plus provide the "creature comforts" my mother wants. I emailed Odyssey and they have occupancies. Before I book this tour, I just wanted to check back with you to see if you have personal experience with Odyssey, since it hasn't been mentioned by others, including the travel agent we are using. Thanks so much for your advice!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Hi Mary - no I dont have personal experience - but a friend who worked for years in the US as a travel agent recommended them to me. She worked for ANZCRO and Odyssey was the company they always recommended in the NT.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Nozzie, I think this is a Voyages operation. The websites are very similar, and I seem to recall the accomodations included are Voyages properties.

Probably exactly what this poster is looking for.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,734 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Yes Amber you are right. It is a Voyages operation.

It is up market and appeals to many travellers who want a soft adventure type tour. It may not be your cup of tea but I have found that many travellers from Europe and the US (especially the elder age group) do not necessarily enjoy the more out there type of tours that appeal to the younger backpacker group - and in fact many of those tours will no longer take people over 45 years of age.

Each to their own as they say. I think a 77 yo lady who wants to stay in hotels and see the sights in comfort will enjoy Odyssey.

Level Contributor
11 posts
7. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Thank you, Nozzie and Amber, for your continuing advice. I just learned (Internet travel newsletter) that Odyssey was sold last week by Voyages to Australian Wilderness Tours, which promises to continue to offer existing tours and honor clients' bookings. This might be good news, but with any transition, there are bound to be a few wrinkles. Still, the 3-day "splendour" tour Odyssey offers sounds appealing. I also just emailed "Tailor-made Tours", an outfit that offers private customized tours, but their prices probably will be astronomical. Hopefully, Odyssey will be a good alternative. I really appreciate all of your advice. Opie (Minneapolis MN, US)

Darwin
Level Contributor
31 posts
8. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Voyages no longer own or operate Odyssey Tours. It has been bought by a local company just recently.

I have experience with this company and actually know the guys who first started the it before Voyages bought it. If the new owners continue on with the same quality, then I can assure you of a very comfortable and personalised tour.

Their vehicles are well appointed and the drivers are well trained. You won't be disappointed.

The above is based on my previous experience when they were owned by the original owners and then Voyages. As the new owners have only recently bought it, I would be interested to know how they shape up.

Good Luck and Enjoy Youself!

Level Contributor
11 posts
9. Re: Outback and northern territory tours

Mary - have you decided which tour company to use in the NT? We'll be in the Northern Territory in early May, and I'd be very interested in your decision, as I am in the midst of that same choice. Have a great trip!

Opie