We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Frederick...
Level Contributor
286 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Free 555 Bus and Luggage

This free bus drops off very close to our hotel (near George and Liverpool). When we get off the cruise ship near Circular Quay, could we use this bus to get to our hotel? We will have 4 pieces of luggage between the two of us. I imagine there are no luggage racks, but would we be able to stand with our luggage for the relatively short ride?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Those buses can get very crowded, I wouldn't attempt it with that much luggage!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

I must have a lot more front than Mia. I'd give it a go. The 555 has no more or less luggage space than any other bus so if your plan is to go by bus why not take the free one!

The other option is to go by train from Circular Quay to Town Hall which has an exit near

Liverpool St. Both stations have lifts and its easier to get luggage in and off a train.

The third option is a cab. By the time you have bought bus or train tickets for two people, a cab won't be that more expensive for just a few blocks. And then you won't have to carry your luggage anywhere.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Hi,

From Overseas Passenger terminal(OPT), it is quite a walk to 555 bus top at Circular Quay- though a nice walk passing MCA, the skyline of skyscrapers in front of you, then towards left for the bus stop of 555, and I can still remember- bus stand "E"(as I took a bus from this stand to Bondi Junction,and saw route 555 also from here)

From OPT,it is around 700meters to Customs House,then stand E is just towards your left if you are facing Customs House.

Though I believe, beginning next month,as 555 will no longer run along Elizabeth St,only along George, 555 may depart from bus Stand "B" on Alfred St. LAndmark for stand B- in front of a row of shops- such as Mcdonalds, Gateway Quayside, CQ Cafe, a shop selling souvenirs-ok,that's the best my memory can serve me.

Could I take a guess- Radisson?

In fact, will +1 vote for evamelb's advice, taxi from overseas passenger terminal.

Yep, Town Hall has lift, but you really need to find an exit once you reach concourse level to reach road level, otherwise few flights of stairs to tackle.

And mind you, at times, lifts could be undergoing maintenance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

I think it's going to have alot to do with the size of your four pieces.

If its a suitcase each and a carry on, you may just make it. But as Mia says, those buses can get crowded. Your only saving grace is the fact your getting on at Circular Quay, at the start.

If its like 2 suitcases each, I'd highly recommend a taxi.

Just a side note - depending on the traffic, the bus can stop considerably further down George, almost midway to Goulburn. If you're going to Radisson Suites, you still have to cross two sets of lights with your luggage. If you're going to Rydges or Meriton, it's back up and to your right.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

There is a lift from the concourse at Town Hall station up to street level. It is located closest to the Bathurst St stair exits and on the eastern side of George St.

The train fares from Circular Quay to Town Hall will be no more than about $6 for 2 passengers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Catch a taxi as to me the bus/train method is a false economy (walking to Circular Quay station, buying tickets, finding the platform, catch a train, get out at Town Hall, exit and find hotel all with 4 BAGS).

Edited: 30 August 2013, 20:41
Frederick...
Level Contributor
286 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Thank you, everyone! Certainly a taxi sounds like the easiest method. We're at the Meriton on Kent St. We'll be in Sydney 3 days and intend to buy some form of transportation pass, but I didn't realize the ship terminal is not that close to the station at Circular Quay.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Definitely do not take the 555 bus....you may be lucky and get the run up George Street but each time I've been on it, the circuit has taken the other route which is definitely not a short ride.

With cruise ship passengers disembarking and some possibly staying on, of those who stay on, IME, many take the free bus so there is not only limited room for luggage, but often standing room only ... there were 5 buses in a row that we could not get on due to the number of people already on there !

Re the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT)

If you look at a map of Sydney, you will see Circular Quay ... it is shaped like a U ... on the left hand side there is the OPT and in the bottom of the U, ferry terminals, the railway station with escalators and elevators and to the right of the U, the Opera House.

Walk through the open archway area of the railway station to a street and that's where many buses depart from.

IMO, if my 86 yo friend in need of a knee replacement op can walk it, then it is not that far to / from those transport options we've been discussing.

If you go to Google Maps, type in Circular Quay Railway Station Sydney, and then get directions to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and choose "walking" as your option, not only can you see what I perceive to be reasonable proximity to each other but the directions will tell you that they are around 450m from each other. If you drag the point to the end of the Railway Station (to the right) where the 555 bus went from last time I tried to catch it, it's not that much further on.

Furthermore, as a commuter who used to board and alight trains at Town Hall Station very regularly, I never had a problem with an escalator - I never used the lifts. And if you cannot find your way, simply ask someone .. there should be station hands at each barrier and don't forget the friendly members of the public.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 00:09
Frederick...
Level Contributor
286 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

That's exactly what I needed to read, Doug. Thank you. My husband and I (early 60s) walked the streets of Florence, luggage in tow, for 25 minutes to get to our apt, so we can manage this. I will open your directioms and google maps at the same time and figure out the route. We can buy our transportation pass at the train station and be ready to get to our hotel and on exploring Sydney.

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free 555 Bus and Luggage

Your more than welcome Flannery52.

While catching a taxi is the easiest, it's not the cheapest way of getting to your hotel. Having said that, I would not expect the cost of a taxi from the OPT to be expensive.

If you do decide to go by train, when you alight the train at Town Hall Station, do not take the walkway through to Galeries Victoria or the one to the left, Queen Victoria Building (QVB).

IMO the easiest exit for you if you are looking at the walkways to the Galeries Victoria or the QVB, is to walk around the station to your left and through to an arcade (I think there is a Kodak film place on your right). Keep walking through the arcade which does a dog leg to the left then the the right and you will exit at the corner of Bathurst and Kent Streets ... easy !

Edited: 31 August 2013, 08:01