We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling interstate with food gifts

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling interstate with food gifts

Ok might seem like a silly question ... I know you're not allowed to bring stuff like fruit and vegetables on a plane to bring between states, but what about other food stuffs like macaroons, chocolates, wine etc? The reason I'm asking, is I'm travelling to Sydney and would like to bring some souvenirs back to Perth for the family ... They'd probably prefer some Zumbo macaroons to a Sydney hat or t shirt. Is it ok if they're sealed and are in your checked luggage? An flying Virgin.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

Yes, but check ont the states quarantine website.

I know honey is a funny one :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

It's only Fruit and Veg and yes, honey, that's restricted.

quarantinedomestic.gov.au/destination-wester…

I wouldn't be putting Zumbo macarons into a suitcase unless they are REALLY well packed and its got hard sides. Those little suckers are too expensive to end up as colored dust in the bottom of a case.

Lucky relos in Perth!

Edited: 06 August 2013, 06:58
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

You could even carry them on in your carry on bag, where I would think they'd fare better. Can I be a relative, even temporarily? ;-)

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

😊

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

Ive seen people take dozens of krispy kreme donuts on the plane interstate.

Macaroons in carry on inside a hard plastic box. Wine of course will be check in as you cant take those on a flight as they havent been security bagged/cleared. Aussie post sells good wine boxes you can package your bottles in and then into your checkin bag or mail it to yourself

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

Haha YorkFoodie I used to live in York ... So almost a relative anyway ...

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

I think Denali missed the bit about you coming from Sydney. There's no liquid restrictions on domestic flights in Australia. Take as much wine as you like.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

You can take bottles of booze on domestic flights?

Goes to show every flight but two in the past 5yrs has been international - thanks for correcting me :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

I think with the Zumbo macaroons, the boxes are sturdy enough as carry on without further reinforcements. (Having said that, they used to be in really hard boxes, but they seem to be using cheaper flimsy things now). You're more in danger of shaking it to pieces rather than crushing them. But I agree, not in checked luggage.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling interstate with food gifts

The Zumbo macaroons come in little cardboard boxes (like cardstock thickness) but the boxes are not stiff enough to protect against things falling on it . I would agree that it might be best to buy a cheap plastic box to put the macaroons into. The little individual boxes are about 5cm in W x D X H. They also have long rectangular gift boxes that from memory, can hold 3-4 macaroons. Hope this helps.