We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
141 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Hi all

Would it be faster/cheaper to catch a rivercat along Parramatta river to/from Circular Quay to Olympic Path Wharf ?

Is there a bus which goes from the Wharf to Edwin Flack Avenue?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Yes there is a bus

As for faster ...

Hmmm i doubt it but it is a nicer trip

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Cheapest will be to get the train all the way to Olympic Park station via Lidcombe.

Quickest will probably be train to Strathfield and then 526/525 bus.

Most expensive and scenic will be the Rivercat. The 526 buses leave from the wharf every half hour or so. Check the timetables at www.131500.info.

If you are buying a MyMulti ticket, however, the Rivercat and bus are both covered by a MyMulti-1, whereas the the other two options both require a MyMulti-2 (which is more expensive).

Edited: 11 January 2013, 16:42
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
141 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Thanks inas66

Okay, do you recommend buying the MyMulti-2 pass if were going in and out of the city a couple of times, (to Manly Beach and Watsons Bay) and then to the airport or should we just pay for single trips?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

It is $8 difference between the MyMulti-1 and a MyMulti-2.

A return trip peak from Olympic Park to the MyMulti-1 Zone will cost you $7.20 if you buy your ticket before 9am, or $4.80 if you buy it after 9am or on weekends.

So if you are going twice or more into the city by train, then you'll definitely want a MyMulti-2.

If you are happy with the ferry and bus, then a MyMulti-1 will be fine.

Personally, I think you'll be frustrated with the ferry and 526 after the first trip, and you'll want to do the 525/526 from Strathfield to do the trip quickly, so I'd recommend you get a MyMulti-2.

At Strathfield station there are two exits. You want to take the Everton Rd exit, closest to platform 1. Climb the stairs, kinda keep going straight ahead past the ticket office. There are several bus stops, but just look for the one for the 525/526. It is usually the one with the most people waiting at it!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
141 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

Thanks for your help :)

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

I took the ferry the last time to the Olympic Stadium and enjoyed the view tremendously. It did take quite a while mind you (and I missed the tour slot I wanted to go on so had to hang around waiting for the next one) but the plus side is you got to see a lot of places I'd never been to before and because I'd time to kill, got to explore the Olympic site.

The bus was waiting for the ferry to arrive so no problem with that connection.

7. Re: Rivercat/Ferry along Parramatta River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 18:16