We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

My husband really wants to do the Sydney bridge climb when we visit Sydney. I love exercise and am in great shape, but I am afraid of heights. I've been told that as long as I don't look down I'll be fine. I love hiking and am not afraid of heights when I'm an enclosed area (I've been on enclosed ferris wheels and gondolas), but as soon as I'm in the open, I get scared. I think my fear is a fear of falling - I hiked up a mountain and was fine the whole way up, but when we were at the top at a beautiful look-out with no guard rail I panicked!

Should I do it?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

Based on what you have said, I think you will be OK. Yes, there will be nervous moments but I think your enjoyment will far surpass your fear.

I do not like heights and consider myself as having a fear but I still push myself to visit places that involve heights as I don't want to miss out.

For me, the worst parts of the harbour climb is the initial walk out to the ladders. It's a mesh grate and you can see below. The other part was crossing the bridge at the top to get to the other side. Again, it was the traffic below that freaked me out.

I found that looking ahead and up if needed was enough to get me through and end enjoy it.

I have climbed the Eiffel Tower several times now and familiarity does make it easier. The first time I went up I stuck as far away from the edge as I could until I was brave enough to head to the outer rails. Bizarrely, I feel better walking up the ET than taking the lift.

Last year I did the Statue of Liberty and survived. The one place that I did freak out was climbing The Monument in London. When I got to the top, well that was enough for all my fears to come back. My palms are sweaty now even thinking about it.

I still remember years ago when I visited the CNN Tower in Toronto, they had a glass floor. There was no way in h3ll I was going to walk over that even intellectually knowing that I was already up there standing on concrete.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

Mez, the Monument in London! I had exactly the same fear. I wonder what it is about that thing. Maybe because it's so narrow?

I also did the SOL last year climbing right to the top and I was shaking and sweaty but I'm so glad I did it.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
109 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

My hubby and I did the BridgeClimb last month and he's afraid of heights, particularly if what he's on feels or looks even remotely unstable. The bridge isn't rickety, for sure, and there are A LOT of safety precautions and gear. We really dug those cables and how they're hooked onto the bridge/walkway/railing -- they're designed so that if a person trips or slips s/he will only travel to the last stopping point in the cable -- which isn't far.

IMO, the worst part of the climb where the four-part ladders, which were really steep with narrow treads. However, that part was enclosed, was one-person-at-a-time, and I ended up being focused on each step.

Maybe you can try the Pylon Lookout ($9) first and see if it's worth the expense to try the BridgeClimb?

Additionally, if you decide to try the BridgeClimb, maybe the Express Climb will be more your cup 'o tea? IMO, the "classic" 3.5-hr BridgeClimb was too long -- too much stopping.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

I too am scared of heights.

My legs turn to jelly. Nothing will assauge my fear.

Like some, I couldn't care less that I've never done the Bridge Climb. And yet I've been up some steep spiral staircases of medieval castles in Europe: the difference is probably that they're enclosed, although I dislike lookig down the stairs intensely.

My fear is not rational, but it sure is persistant. I'm with you, evamelb.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

You are probably best to listen to anyone that has done the bridge climb and is scared of heights. I am not scared of heights but have done the bridge climb 3 times and each time there was someone apprehensive to feeling very unsure about doing it. Each time the guides put these people at the front with them and I was near them and they loved it. They found the lower walk across to the bridge harder than the arches. The arches feel like you are walking up a hillside. The ladders can be confronting for some but you have to concentrate on your steps so you dont need to look elsewhere. The ladders are wide and more like steep steps than a ladder. There is also the faster climb that goes up the lower arches and uses steps, not ladders, but still arrives at the top.

16. Re: Sydney Bridge Climb for those scared of heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:17