We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in Sydney December 2012

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
one day in Sydney December 2012

i will arrive in Sydney on an overnight flight from Perth and have 1 day to spend in sydney before departing for the US

any suggestions on what to do?

I was in sydney over 20 years ago but i'm pretty sure a lot has changed over the years. I was thinking about the hop on/off bus and maybe spend a few hours on Bondi Beach

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

click on 'things to do' on the lhs of this page.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

Hi Maria

If you look at the right hand side of this page you will see "more about Sydney", click on "top questions about Sydney & you will see the FAQ's. Lots of info. there including the "must sees", this is the most recent tripadvisor.com.au/…35265375

The main sites - harbour, bridge, Opera House really haven't changed that much in 20 years, still as gorgeous as ever!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

thanks for the information.

im arriving at around 6am from perth, then i have the whole day and overnight before a looong flight to los angeles departing sydney at noon.

i was thinking about the hop on/off bus as there are only a few places that i really want to see...

harbor bridge

opera house

the rocks

circular quay

darling harbour

and bondi

or perhaps the ferry tours in the harbour

am i being optimistic to try to cover all of this in one day

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

Maria, you could view all the above easily in one day, unless you planned on doing a bridge climb or walk, and an inside tour of the opera house. From Circular Quay you can get a ferry that that will take in everything, except Bondi, that you have mentioned. You could go to Darling Harbour, get off and walk around and depending on how quickly things happen, get the monorail to Central and get a train or bus to Bondi. (There is a plan to pull the monorail down soon.) Do you have a hotel planned yet? Don't forget you will need at least 2 hours minimum check in before departure. It might be an idea to get a hotel near to the airport that you can check into on arrival from Perth, have a shower and dump your bags before heading into the city. That way it also reduces travel time to the airport next day. Otherwise, Darling Harbour has many hotels to choose from with shuttles available and you would be in the centre of things you want to see.

Greg

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

Personally I wouldn't bother with theHOHO ticket for the things you have listed. The Bridge, O house, Circular Quay and Rocks are all pretty much in the same place so easy walking. Darling Harbour is also within walking distance or you can catch the free 555 bus. To get to Bondi Beach just take a 380 bus from Elizabeth St.

sydneybuses.info/routes/…file

Can I suggest if you are already in the vicinity of the Opera House that you take a walk through te Botanical Gardens as well?

While staying at an airport hotel may have some merit, I doubt you would be able to check in so early in the morning. You may be able to leave your bags with the concierge but you won't be able to get to your room to freshen up which I suspect you will want to do after the red eye from Perth. I would suggest you book into a city hotel, drop your bags, have a wander round till check in time then check in at your convenience later in the day. Something around Darling Harbour or Circular Quay would be convenient for what you are planning to do.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

yes agree about the airport hotel. cbd location is better. u have to get a shuttle (cost/time) to an airport hotel and then get to a railway station or find a taxi into town. better to go straight into town from the airport and drop off your bags.

it's only a 20 min train ride plus waiting time back to the international terminal.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

thanks for the information.

I think I will stay in the Rocks area although it seems a lot of the hotels are booked up or else really expensive.

I like the idea of the ferry then I can hop off where i need to.

if I walk over the bridge, can I take the ferry back to circular quay.

going to Bondi, it looks like the travel time by bus is 45 mins approx one way

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

Maria, if you do the walk across the bridge you can get a ferry back from Luna Park Wharf or Jeffrey Street Wharf in Kirribilli. Both are a short walk from the end of the bridge walk.

Greg

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

If you walk over the Bridge there are actually two different ferry wharves - Jeffrey St to the east and Milsons Point(Luna Park) to the west. Both are within a 10 minute walk of the bottom of the steps when you come off the bridge.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day in Sydney December 2012

i checked the airport website and there is a left luggage area in the international terminal, so i think i will leave my suitcase there and just take an overnight into the city, much easier to travel with a light bag. i think i will try to find a hotel in darling harbor and base myself from there. taking the ferry around might be the best way to get around and also if i want to go to Manly?

do you think i will be able to see the opera house, the rocks, walk the bridge and Manly in one day?