We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Melbourne

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Melbourne

Hi!

I am in the midst of planning a road trip between Sydney and Melbourne and I have to make a choice between the Great Alpine Road or Snowy Mountains. Which road provides a better scenery? I will be traveling in Oct 12.

Regards.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

Welcome to TA.

The Great Alpine Road is hardly a route from Sydney to Melbourne. It runs from Wangaratta Victoria, where I live, to Bairnsdale, Victoria. Wangaratta is over 700km, down the Hume Hwy/Fwy from Sydney and Bairnsdale is nearly 300km east of Melbourne on the Princes Hwy.

By the Snowy Mountains, I presume you mean from Sydney, via Canberra, Cooma, Bombala, Cann River, Lakes Entrance and then to Melbourne. There are other routes suchas from Cooma through Jindabyne, Thredbo, and the Alpine Way.

If this is the route you could spend time in Canberra and places like Lakes Entrance.

This is over a 1000km trip so you will need at least one overnight stop. If you are touring you will probably need at least 2, if not more stops.

If you decide to take the Great Alpine Road the trip is about 1200km.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 21:00
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

Hi,

I have actually catered quite a number of days to travel from Sydney to Melbourne and back to Sydney. This is what I have came out with:

Day 1: Sydney to Jervis Bay

Day 2: Jervis Bay to Tilba Tilba

Day 3: Tilba Tilba to Croajingolong

Day 4: Croajingolong to Metung

Day 5: Metung to Walhalla

Day 6: Walhalla to Melbourne (Stop by Phillip Island)

Day 7 & 8: Melbourne

Day 9: Melbourne to Jindabyne

Day 10: Explore Jindabyne/Mt Kosciusko

Day 11: Jindabyne to Canberra

Day 12: Canberra to Blue Mountains

Day 13: Blue Mountains to Sydney

The other option for the return leg is to travel via Hume Highway to Hillview Farmstay. Then via Snowy Mountains to Canberra via Cooma. Which way provides a more scenic drive?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

It depends on what time you have and if you are used to traveling long distances. The 'coast road' is scenic and you simply take the road to Wollongong and travel the coast all the way to Melbourne. Best done over 3-5 days and enjoy the beaches!

Hire yourself a decent sized family car and no need to pre book accommodation as it is a non holiday time of the year. Safe travels

Suitcase warrior

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

It depends on what time you have and if you are used to traveling long distances.

The 'coast road' is scenic and you simply take the road to Wollongong and travel the coast all the way to Melbourne. Best done over 3-5 days and enjoy the beaches!

Hire yourself a decent sized family car and no need to pre book accommodation as it is a non holiday time of the year. Safe travels

Suitcase warrior

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

October is the start of the snow season ....also October 1 ..to ..7 is the last week of the NSW school holidays ..so accommodation "may "be a slight problem in some areas...my suggestion would be the coast road one way and the inland road the other

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

October is the start of the snow season???

Perhaps in the Northern Hemisphere but the snow season in Australia usually starts on the long weekend in June and finishes the first weeken in October. By October there is usually not much snow around.

The only piece of the trip plan given that may, I emphasise may, give a problem is from Jindabyne through Perisher to Charlottes Pass ,where the car park is for the 18km round trip walk to the Summit of Mt Kosciusko.

Everything else is unlikely to be effected by snow in October, including from Hillview Farmstay (Gundagai) to Tumut and then the Snowy Mountai Highway to Cooma.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

oopppps ...sorry i did mean to say that October was the End ofte snow season ..sory about that

8. Re: Sydney to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:40