We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls coming out of Sydney!

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls coming out of Sydney!

We are collecting hire car in Kings Cross, Sydney and travelling up to Brisbane. Do we need to get an e-tag for the tolls or can we ring at our first stop Port Macquarie? Also are there tolls between Port Macquarie and Byron Bay then between Byron and Brisbane Airport.

Not sure to just drive and ring at end of day!

Please help.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
830 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

Hi, assuming you cross the Sydney harbour bridge (or use the harbour tunnel) getting from Kings Cross to the northside, there are no tolls for northbound traffic and no toll roads between Sydney and Brisbane. One trap, there is a small section of toll road (tunnel) linking William Street, Kings Cross and the access to the bridge/tunnel. You can stay on surface roads to avoid this. Ask the car hire company for directions.

You may want to ask in the Brisbane forum about tolls getting across/around Brisbane to the airport.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

from the cross, down william, turn right onto college, right onto macquarie then right on bridge (look for unusual looking sydney conservatorium building) and u r on the cahill expressway toll free

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

oops, forgot to include the map link for the above route:

http://tinyurl.com/7m2vrpa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

Hi,

Wonder if you are carrying a GPS. If yes, then you can turn off the "Suggest Toll-Roads" option under Navigation, and then follow it.

If not then there are a couple of places when getting out North of Sydney and onto Pacific Hwy, where you can get "sucked" onto the toll roads. E.g. after Harbour Bridge or Harbour Tunnel, when you are on Warringah Fwy, if you do not take the Pacific Hwy exit to Hornsby, then you will enter the Lane Cove tunnel and then on to M2. These are toll roads.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,424 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

thos should help for NSW tolls ... http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/emupass/

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

Re post #4 - Visiting from Melbourne recently, I am still ultra-confused about which parts of the motorways in Sydney are tolled and which aren't! Thus I endorse the comment that you can easily be sucked on to a toll road. In particular, I can't work out when Gore Hill motorway is tolled. We did several trips between Military Rd and the Chatswood exit (and v-v), and these all show up on my statement as "Lane Cove Tunnel" - yet we exited before the tunnel (the e-tag beeped as we used the Military Rd on and off ramps). On the other hand, on our trip via the M5, Eastern Distributor, Harbour Tunnel and Gore Hill Expwy exiting at the Chatswood exit, we only got charged for the Eastern Distributor (and the M5) - no separate charge for the Gore Hill Expwy portion?.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 17:32
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

There are links to toll operators / toll roads in this FAQ - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Re your post 4, on our Sat Nav when it calculates the route it shows a screen that says there are toll roads and asks if it's OK to continue...I always go via toll roads as they are easier and often quicker for me plus I have an e-tag.

On the other hand, even if I have the sat nav on I change the route when I know I want to avoid an area that has been suggested. Naturally this sends the sat nav into a mild panic but eventually it sees things my way !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

It might be worth checking with your hire car company to see what they can provide in terms of tolls, some provide etags, others can pre-register your vehicle's number plate. Then you wouldn't have to worry about whether to ring or not, nor whether you will receive a huge 'administrative fee' from the hire company.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

If you go through a toll collection point, there are always signs to tell you that a toll is payable, and the phone number and web address for payment.

Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls coming out of Sydney!

Re the Gore Hill Expressway, only the on/off ramp north of Military Rd is tolled.