We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Day Plan B

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Australia Day Plan B

Okay, right now the plan is to go into the Royal Botanical Gardens down by Mrs. McQ's chair to watch the ferry races. We even bought our groceries for the picnic lunch. The weather report is not in our favour and so I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas for a drier Australia Day??? thank you AGAIN!!! Joan

p.s. we couldn't wait.... broke into the Lamingtons already! YUM!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia Day Plan B

I wish all Sydneysiders could come & share Australia Day in the beautiful clear skies of the Snowy Mountains. Gorgeous day here today - not a cloud in the sky and set for a beauty!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,619 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia Day Plan B

Hi Joan, unfortunately Australia Day is usuallly planned as an outdoor day so I can't hink of what else to do indoors.

Maybe head to the local DVD store and hire some Aussie movies and get stuck into those lamingtons?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia Day Plan B

JOan you've got no worries for Australia Day indoors. HEAPS of things are planned by all sorts of organisations. Now, just let me think... great time for a mental block....ah yes,

The Historic Houses Trust has "concession entry" to their properties today, and ... wait for it.... they have an annual Australia Day book sale at the Mint bookshop.

hht.net.au/whats_on/event/no-presale/tours/a…

I'm sure I've seen other indoor stuff for Aussie day advertised in my wanderings too... I'll come back if I think of what they are..

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia Day Plan B

The Australian Museum is offering half price entry

australianmuseum.net.au/event/Australia-Day-…

...basically all sorts of places offer reduced or free entry on Australia Day. So if there's something that you are interested in doing hop onto their website and see if they are making today look extra attractive.

PS at least some of those HHT properties are free entry. I'm thinking specifically of Government House.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 10:11
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia Day Plan B

Well shucks, we just got back to Dulwich Hill and found all your ideas! We took the bus into the CBD and walked over to Mrs. McQ's chair. Got soaked in the rain watching all the ships and yachts going by. We ate our picnic lunch there anyway, as we were already wet. Watched the helicopter put on it's display of rescuing someone in Farm Cove too. Tonight we are going over to Linda's dad's house in Grenwich area, then to dinner, then back to his place to watch the fireworks... under cover and dry! The skies look like they are clearing now though, oh well! Happy Australia Day!

p.s. am really enjoying the Lamingtons!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,808 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia Day Plan B

"They're a weird mob" is on Fax Classics at the moment

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia Day Plan B

Frommy, is Fax Classics the name of a theatre or the tv station? No tv reception at Linda's house! Thanks, Joan

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia Day Plan B

http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/#PAY-header

Typo, it's Fox Classics on pay tv. After They're a Weird Mob (where he tries to take a taxi to Kings @#$% Cross) is Muriel's Wedding and then The Year of Living Dangerously. Oh Frommy, looks interesting, but even if we had pay tv we have to watch the tennis lol. Hope the link works, I had to change the settings from my usual Canberra and no pay tv. You have no tv at all there Joan?

Btw rain here too, though it held off for this morning's events.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia Day Plan B

No tv... she is not hooked up to anything. Actually, the tv is sitting in the room, but no point is putting it on. Actually, we are not hooked up to cable at home either. No tv at our house since last June, so we are used to it. I should ask about renting a dvd though.

I do miss seeing the tennis. We heard Hewitt was no longer playing now, but wow, what a wonderful story.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia Day Plan B

JOan, sorry that you got wet on Australia Day but hope you enjoyed your day all the same.

Happy that you got to enjoy your lamingtons....have you got yourself a recipe to take home with you?