We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

Hiya. A little over 7 weeks! Yipee!

A brief overview: we'll be staying with my aunt in Penrith, so big commute in and out of town, but not out of reach so long as we plan the day. I've spent lots of time in Syd, husband has been once before, first trip with the kids (10 & 11). I'll be taking my family to the things I love about Sydney, but also looking for some new experiences for me. One that has caught my eye on the forums here is mention of a trail walk along the coast near Bondi.

The kids are good for up to about 10 km (keeping in mind our long commute as well). Can you provide me with specific information regarding where to access the trail and transit points at either end of the trail? Train/bus to where? Look for what landmarks to find the start of the trail? Walk all or part of the trail? Finish where? Bus/train from where at the end?

Thanks again everyone for your tips!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

Hi Vancouverite!

This link gives some pretty good information + a link to a great map on the Bondi to Bronte section which is one alternative - 4k's each way.

…nsw.gov.au/things_to_do/local_walks/bondi_t…

The other alternative is to continue on to Coogee (another 2km) & catch a bus back to the city from there.

Mia

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

I'd be inclined to do the express train in from the mtns to central then change to Bondi Junction. Catch the bus from Bondi Junction to the beach Gives you a choice of 4 buses, 333, 380, 381, and 382 so more frequency.

Bus will drop you at the Southern End of Bondi Beach (or right on the beach if you like).

We usually walk out and back so can't give you tips on getting back because we catch the train to Bondi Junction from home...

Most of the beaches are serviced by bus so check the sydney buses website for timetables that service Coogee, Clovelly etc as these will give you bail out options..

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

See tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255060-c100911/Sy…

There are buses from every single beach along the route (listed in that link); if you need to get back to the city at any point during the walk you are never more than 10mins away from a bus stop.

You use the word "trail" - I'm not sure if you realise, but it is concrete footpath all the way, running along beaches, parks and roads at times.

The entire walk runs from North Bondi to South Coogee - approx 7.8km/2 hours.

Most people opt for Coogee-Bondi, which covers everything, but omits a few ks of cliff-top pathway at the south end.

If you enjoy this walk, think about the Spit-Manly or Zoo-Balmoral beach; both are stunningly beautiful and a lot less busy.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

HI VANCOUVER!!!! I did this walk with Dave just last week. we only made it as far as Clovelly Beach, then turned around. Much faster walking back as we were not stopping for lunch, or taking quite as many pictures. the walk back is just as nice as it is a different view going back anyway. Also, we were staying in Dulwich Hill and we bought a train ticket with a "link ticket" for the bus. so much cheaper when you buy it return as well. From Dulwich Hill return was 10.00 for each of us. we changed trains at Central going out, and at Town Hall going back to dHill. DO NOT CHANGE AT TOWN HALL!!! big mistake for us.

You can start the walk and turn around at any point really. Don't forget a hat and sunscreen, and WATER!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

^^^

Actually, Town Hall is the easiest place to change as the whole station is designed to minimise walking.

E.g. from the western line, once on the platform you go down 1 level and you're on the Eastern Suburbs line platform. If you try to change at central I can almost guarantee you'll get lost along the 5-10min walk between the platforms.

J0an123, I'm not sure why you changed trains at Town Hall? You must've wasted 15mins going back around the City Circle to get there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

If Vancouverite comes in on a BMs train they terminate at Central..she'll need to change anyway....

also note that Vancourite has spent lots of time in Sydney....

Central is very easy to navigate

Edited: 17 January 2012, 10:45
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

Thanks all and hi everyone! Hey Joan - not BuccaneerDave??

Yes, I'm familiar with the trains, but was always coming up from Caringbah in the past, so this it will be an adjustment. Also first time since 1999, so will some of the specifics of navigation will be fuzzy. Ok, so the path sounds not too long and it sounds like we can bail and catch a bus at any point to return. Excellent. Also good tips about the other trails, although this appeals to me as I really don't know this area at all. Only did a Big Pig concert out at Bondi one time (dating myself here!) so it will be nice to explore a bit.

I've ridden the intercity trains out to the Blue Mountains before. They stop at Penrith as I recall? That should make the run in and out of Sydney a bit easier. We were considering a car, but when you look at the hassle of parking + the issues of navigating in an unfamiliar city, it didn't seem worth it.

Thanks everyone! DD has the Opera House on her list, and we have penguins for the boy, so we should all get what we want out of this one. :>

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

55 mins vs about 70 mins to Central if you catch one of the interurbans. Yes Penrith, Blacktown, Westmead, Parramatta and Stratfield

Easy to navigate Central, out of interurban then across (your right as you exit the platform) and down to the very last platform. Coming in from Caringbah in the past that means you are connecting to a known line...pretty sure the signs for the line are blue or have blue markings..

Edited: 17 January 2012, 14:45
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

*Strathfield

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Specific info on the Bondi trail walk

If you do the Bronte to Bondi walk in that direction, I suggest you drop in to the Icebergs Club at the Bondi end. You can have a drink and /or lunch in the bistro and have a lovely view over Bondi beach. You only need to show your passport to get in. Good luck!

Joan, the walk as far as Clovelly is a long one but to walk both ways!!!