We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prison tours

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Prison tours

I will be traveling to Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs and Melbourne in June. Could someone tell me how to locate prisons, historical information about same, prison tours and memorabilia and the like? Thank you. Side trips to other locations are not out of the question.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prison tours

do you mean "decommissioned" or active?

the only one i can think of in the former category is pentridge in melbourne.

there are a few others around but i think they are used for other purpose now eg. darlinghurst jail in sydney.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prison tours

A side trip to Hobart in Tasmania is called for, I think.

You could see the World Heritage listed Port Arthur convict township with its Model Prison, Richmond Gaol (jail) and the Penitentiary Chapel (with court rooms, underground cells and gallows as well).

http://www.portarthur.org.au/

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2749

http://www.penitentiarychapel.com/

Fremantle Gaol in Perth, Western Australia is good, too.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prison tours

Perhaps the Police and Justice Museum near Circular Quay may meet some of your interests

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prison tours

Hyde Park Barracks in Sydney started out as housing for convicts & then went on to have a very interesting history. They have a convict exhibition on until 2013.

hht.net.au/museums/hyde_park_barracks_museum

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prison tours

and i guess cockatoo island and fort dension in sydney harbour have a bit of a convict past. and the quarantine station was a prison to some.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,516 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prison tours

There are a number of places in Sydney built by convicts such as the Argyle Store and of course Edmund Blackett was a convict who designed th Garrison Church just up from the Argle Stores. He also designed the Hyde Park Barracks.

There was a Female Factory at Parramatta but I'm not sure how much of it remains - www.parragirls.org.au/female-factory.php

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prison tours

They're clutching at straws really, aren't they, Diane?

If it's prisons you're interested in, best to pack your bags and come to Tassie. This island was just one great prison in its heyday.

It's worth looking at World Heritage listed Maria Island (on the east coast of Tasmania) and Sarah Island (on the west coast). Sarah Island was our earliest and remotest prison settlement for incorrigibles- a "place of banishment and security for the worst description of convicts" . Both were horrible, horrible places.

Or you could stay on the mainland and see a smidgin of convict era relics. :)

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=3495

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=2791

Luigi

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prison tours

But I'm leading you astray. If you're a prison buff, the real treasure is Port Arthur's separate or model prison, modelled on the Eastern State Penitentiary in Pennsylvania.

www.portarthur.org.au/file.aspx?id=7157

www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx?base=1471

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur,_Tasmania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prison tours

Dougoz has confused Edmund Blacket (certainly a famous Australian architect, though later on in the life of New South Wales) with Francis Greenway, who was emancipated under Governor Macquarie and designed many of Sydney's surviving fine Georgian buildings

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
907 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prison tours

Cockatoo Island has a significant convict past and the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust operates tours focussing on the convict heritage (as well as tours looking at the history of the ship-building industry on the island)