We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

Hi all,

My hubby and I will be arriving in Sydney on 1st February 2011 at around 8.30am and would like some advice on the best way to get from the airport to our hotel.

There's just the two of us and we don't mind catching buses or trains.

I was looking at the My Multi 1 Weekly but this does not include getting from the airport? Although it does say if you have a MyMulti you need a Gate Pass? What is this?

Any help/info very much appreciated.

Thank you

Clare* :-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

the airport stations are privately run.

there is a surcharge for using them (and some other stations on the airport line).

one way gate pass is around $12 pp.

personally after a long flight i would get a taxi door to door for around $50, maybe less on a sunday rather than schlepping bags around stations and city streets.

there are shuttles but they can be an around the world for sixpence experience before u get to your hotel, not to mention waiting times at the airport.

there are all sorts of other cheaper options eg. public bus, walking to a non surcharge station etc. but really for the sake of a few $ it's hardly worth it.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

As lien says, a taxi will take you to the front door and I suspect it will actually be less than $50. However a train will get you to Central which is quite near your hotel and is $15 each. Again, as suggested, forget the shuttle for the reasons given and it is dearer than the train anyway. Good luck!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

Thank you for your replies lien and flanneur,

So am I right in thinking that even if we pay $15pp to get from the airport to Central Station that we also have to pay $12pp for a gate pass?

If that's the case then, like you say, we may as well get a taxi.

Thanks again for your help

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

no, the $15 single to central from the airport includes the gate pass.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

Also a little tip....if you do catch the train ,walk to the far end of the platform so that you are at the back of the train.More seating and basically when you get to Central all you have to do then is walk to the nearest exit which should be no more then a few feet away,that way,when you leave the station via the Devonshire St tunnel,your hotel is right there.

Also Central is the hub of most transport,so you can basically go anywhere from there,north,south,east and west.There is a small Transit Shop(little blue building)also near where all the buses leave from,which may help you with transport inquiries.Let us know what plans and what you want to see,and im sure us helpful Aussies can aid you,(even if you did regain the Ashes)..lol

Edited: 29 December 2010, 20:39
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

Thanks lien think we will see how we feel once there and decide between train or taxi!

Hi bigrockinguy thanks for your advice about the train we will keep that in mind.

We have 4 days in Sydney and to be honest apart from seeing the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi beach and Manly we haven't really planned where to go.

We did wonder whether we should head to the Hunter Valley one day? Although we will be going to the Barossa Valley on our GOR drive.

Any ideas and travel info would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

p.s What are the Ashes??? Only joking!!! Can't quite believe how good England have been but very pleased - sorry ;-)

7. Re: International Terminal to Mercure Sydney???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 14:19