We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

australia rail pass [Ausrail]

Idaho
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
australia rail pass [Ausrail]

2 seniors in USA need info on Ausrail Pass..... need suggestions on booking this pass in a train class that has sleepers.We do NOT want recliner seats ..we want a bed at night and we intend to use the trains extensively....I know the passes last for 6 months and i know passes for recliner seats are around $1100 for two seniors.What is cost of sleeper and what is best way to book this type of pass ??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

As far as I am aware, Ausrail passes are not available online- you will have to contact a travel agent and get them to book you one. The details of the pass are available here:

http://www.railaustralia.com.au/flexipass.php

There is a number to call in Australia but it isn't available outside of the country.

As you can see by reading the fine print, the pass is for economy seats (it is designed for backpackers), but you can use sleepers or first class seats (for day trips) by paying the supplement on each fare. To find out the price for the supplement you will have to contact Great Southern Rail, QR Traveltrain or Countrylink. I know that the sleeper supplement for CountryLink trains are about $90 per person on top of the first class fare, the supplement for which you would also have to pay on top of your standard economy fare covered by the pass.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

i know u think i am 'down' on train travel in aus, robsyd, but your post above just confirms how third world the whole thing is.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

Hi camasloop,

This may be a redundant question, as you don't say how long you are travelling or where in Oz you are going, but have you researched the distances involved in travelling in Australia?

Generally, air travel is the most economical choice in terms of time and $. Our rail networks are really as lein suggests "third world ", mainly due to the above,,, distance & $.

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

@Camasloop,

I won't add anything new here, but will try to summarise.

1) You can purchase the AusRail Flexipass offshore through your local travel agent (or wait and purchase them in Australia)

2) You need to separately upgrade to a sleeper berth for each journey that you require that service. Prices vary from journey to journey.

3) Generally speaking, rail travel isn't popular in Australia for two reasons - how much it costs, and how long it takes. We don't have 'high-speed' rail in Australia. And - this is never a popular comment - the scenery consists of a lot of nothing. Better to fly to your destination and get on with your vacation.

If you can let us know your proposed itinerary, I'm sure you will get some very helpful advice about travel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

Lien, the pass is not designed for luxury train travel - I think the point is that it wasn't what it was designed for. For the record, I don't think you are "down" on rail travel in Australia, I just think your opinion of the XPT service is not as bad as it really is and that people need to hear both sides of the coin, that's all.

Edited: 28 December 2010, 22:18
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

You really need to list your intended destinations before forum members can advise on transport options.

The only sleeper trains are:

-Sydney to Brisbane XPT (nightly)

-Melbourne to Sydney and vice versa XPTs (nightly)

-Indian Pacific (2/week)

-Ghan (2/week)

-Sunlander (3/week)

Here's a map: australian-trains.com/images/journey_routes.…

Please remember that flying is much cheaper and much quicker.

Edited: 29 December 2010, 12:47
7. Re: australia rail pass [Ausrail]

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2011, 16:19