We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

Hoping someone more experienced that I am can help! I've got my Aunt and Cousin arriving Int'l terminal 10am on Qantas.

They then are flying Qantas domestic same day ETD 2.15pm.

They want to go to Circular Quay to see the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

Do TA experts think they will have enough time to:

pass through customs & immigration

take train Int'l to Domestic

Check in luggage for ETD 2.15pm Qantas flight

Take train domestic terminal to Circular Quay

Spend time looking at the views at CQ

Take train CQ back to domestic terminal to arrive by 1.30pm

By my calculations it can be done giving them at least an hour & a half once they get in to CQ.

Appreciate your advise please!

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,616 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,950 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

very tight. but i guess doable if they really want to.

and they can check their baggage thru at the international terminal at the QF domestic transfer facility to save a bit of time.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 11:30
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,477 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

I agree very tight too!

If they are really running short on time, you can get good pictures of the harbour bridge and ok pictures of the opera house from the station platform at circular quay railway station. Harbour side of course. You can't see anything much from the opposite platform.

You can see an opera house picture and a harbour bridge picture, taken from the Circular Quay railway station, on this page of my website

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/outside_phi…

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,524 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,616 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

Many thanks for replies. I've advised them that it will be very tight and not to make any firm plans just in case international flight is late arriving.

Thanks for confirming there is a Qantas Domestic check-in at International terminal.

Personally if it was me I wouldn't be trying to do what they want to do!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

If everything goes smoothly, they could feasibly be in the city by 11am. Having already checked in etc, they won't need to be back till 1:45pm to pass through security.

Thats about 2hrs in the city, certainly enough time to walk around the harbour, have lunch and maybe go on a ferry.

The airport line is extremely reliable.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,433 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

Weekday should be ok

Weekend check for trackwork.

The duplication works have had a bit of an impact on reliability into the city over the last few weeks (along with a few other issues) especially during rainy periods.

If in the city by 11.30am get off at St James and Walk down Macquarie St to the Opera House (no more than 20 mins), They'll see some of our historic gems.

If it is a weekend grab food from one of the rocks market stalls. If not maybe even duck into David Jones food Hall to grab a picnic pack for the gardens

6. Re: 2 fit 70yrs olds between flights : Opera House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 14:18