We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Hi,

I am flying back to Mumbai from Christchurch in Jan 2011 with halts at Sydney and Singapore. I have a 9 hour gap at Sydney between my 2 flights. I want to utilise this longish break for sight-seeing in Sydney.

1. I am applying for a Multiple entry transit as required by the Australian Immigration. Using this can I leave the airport for sightseeing for a few hours?

2. What is the best way to see Sydney considering the time span that I have?

3. My flight from Christchurch lands at Sydney at 8 in the morning and leaves from Sydney for Singapore at 5. Sight-seeing for 3-4 hours in this 9 hour gap isn't risky, right?

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

as long as u have the appropriate visa this is possible. i also assume u will have your bags checked thru and the necessary boarding pass for your ongoing flight. if not then u will have to store your bags at t1 and take into consideration an earlier return to the airport to check in.

buy a return ticket and take the train (under t1) to circular quay station. no transfers necessary. then walk around the quay, the opera house, the rocks and maybe over the bridge. u can also do a return trip on the manly ferry from the quay as a harbour cruise substitute. sydney cbd is also very walkable. head up from the quay along pitt or george st (or take the free 555 bus) for a look at the shops (queen victoria building), sydney tower and martin place, town hall etc. there is alos a hoho tourist bus doing a circut.

u can get back to the airport from any of the city circle stations, trip around 20 mins to international terminal. suggested check in is 3 hours prior. if u only need to go thru emigration and security 2 hours would do.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Hi Lien,

Thanks for the revert.

How do I get check-in details confirmed? From the airline company's office based here in Mumbai?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

u normally do that at your point of departure, in this case christchurch. but it depends who u r flying with and if the cc-syd-sin legs are on the same ticket.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

The ticket for all legs are on the same ticket. I'm flying Qantas but my ticket states that the CHC-SYD leg is on JetStar. This flight and the next one for SYD-SING are through Terminal 1 only.

Who is best at answering this question: Sydney Airport or Qantas India?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

jetstar is the low cost subsiduary of qantas. they are a point to point airline and bag transfers are limited. your best bet is to speak to qantas india about how the boarding pass/bag transfer system will operate out of cc.

if u do have to recheck in sydney then u can store your bags in a facility in the t1 arrivals hall concourse (it's near macdonalds). and it's on the way to the station. turn right after u exit customs. in this case just be sure u give yourself the 3 hours to check in before your singapore leg.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 17:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
168 reviews
6. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

With regard to how to fill in your time sight seeing, have a look at this recent thread where the OP asked about filling in 7 hours.

There's good info in here that could apply to your time unless there is something specific you want to do / see that's not mentioned in this link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k4023…

7. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 14:17