We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Hi,

I am flying back to Mumbai from Christchurch in Jan 2011 with halts at Sydney and Singapore. I have a 9 hour gap at Sydney between my 2 flights. I want to utilise this longish break for sight-seeing in Sydney.

1. I am applying for a Multiple entry transit as required by the Australian Immigration. Using this can I leave the airport for sightseeing for a few hours?

2. What is the best way to see Sydney considering the time span that I have?

3. My flight from Christchurch lands at Sydney at 8 in the morning and leaves from Sydney for Singapore at 5. Sight-seeing for 3-4 hours in this 9 hour gap isn't risky, right?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

as long as u have the appropriate visa this is possible. i also assume u will have your bags checked thru and the necessary boarding pass for your ongoing flight. if not then u will have to store your bags at t1 and take into consideration an earlier return to the airport to check in.

buy a return ticket and take the train (under t1) to circular quay station. no transfers necessary. then walk around the quay, the opera house, the rocks and maybe over the bridge. u can also do a return trip on the manly ferry from the quay as a harbour cruise substitute. sydney cbd is also very walkable. head up from the quay along pitt or george st (or take the free 555 bus) for a look at the shops (queen victoria building), sydney tower and martin place, town hall etc. there is alos a hoho tourist bus doing a circut.

u can get back to the airport from any of the city circle stations, trip around 20 mins to international terminal. suggested check in is 3 hours prior. if u only need to go thru emigration and security 2 hours would do.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

Hi Lien,

Thanks for the revert.

How do I get check-in details confirmed? From the airline company's office based here in Mumbai?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

u normally do that at your point of departure, in this case christchurch. but it depends who u r flying with and if the cc-syd-sin legs are on the same ticket.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

The ticket for all legs are on the same ticket. I'm flying Qantas but my ticket states that the CHC-SYD leg is on JetStar. This flight and the next one for SYD-SING are through Terminal 1 only.

Who is best at answering this question: Sydney Airport or Qantas India?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

jetstar is the low cost subsiduary of qantas. they are a point to point airline and bag transfers are limited. your best bet is to speak to qantas india about how the boarding pass/bag transfer system will operate out of cc.

if u do have to recheck in sydney then u can store your bags in a facility in the t1 arrivals hall concourse (it's near macdonalds). and it's on the way to the station. turn right after u exit customs. in this case just be sure u give yourself the 3 hours to check in before your singapore leg.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 17:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

With regard to how to fill in your time sight seeing, have a look at this recent thread where the OP asked about filling in 7 hours.

There's good info in here that could apply to your time unless there is something specific you want to do / see that's not mentioned in this link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k4023…

7. Re: Sight seeing during a 9 hour gap between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 14:17