We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks--But Not NYE

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fireworks--But Not NYE

We were in Sydney on Friday, October 29, staying at the Quay Grand Suites. Twice that evening there were fireworks in the harbor, once near the Opera House and a second time just by the bridge. We asked at the hotel desk and some shops the next day, but no one knew why they happened. Does anyone have any information about that?

We really enjoyed them; they made our last night in Australia special.

Thanks.

Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

A friend was in Sydney in July and mentioned the fireworks. When I was researching my Sydney trip (I'll be there next week!!) I found a website that listed the weekend nights for the fireworks, but don't remember why. Maybe just for fun. We look forward to seeing them on the 13th!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,508 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

Sometimes its the arrival or departure of a cruise ship.

Another, usually about now from memory is that one of the big fireworks comapny owners has his birhday and he has the party on the harbour so that's a possibility too.

It's school formal season and some of the schools also organise small displays to accompany their harbour cruises. (apparently it's part of a package?)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

Yes for many reasons at this time of year particularly. There is a website sydneyskylines.com which gives the dates, but their website doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Their Twitter site gives info. as well

http://twitter.com/#!/sydneyfireworks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

I would have gone for the reason that they were put on specifically for you on your last night in Oz,Just the kind of people we are....!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

It might seem odd but there is no single place you can find out about which fireworks when. Big public displays are known but we find fireworks happening every week - some are large, some are quite small. Our dog doesn't even flinch any more from the noise.

Things that probably mean fireworks are more likely are public holidays, NYE celebrations (think Chinese NY and others as well), cruise ships leaving and so on. But then there are birthdays, weddings, conferences - too many and too personal to list.

6. Re: Fireworks--But Not NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 14:17