We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Berkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Hi there,

My boyf and I are spending 5 nights in Sydney and I wanted to know some good value for money 3star plus accommodations which would be recommended to stay at which would be in good reach of the main sites. Also will parking be difficult and costly? wondering if we should reduce the time we have our hire car while in Sydney.

I would also be interested to know if anyone thinks it would be worth splitting our Sydney trip up to spend some days nearer the Sydney coast or is there plenty to do in 5 days in the city. What is better, staying central and travelling out (and where to) or staying in two different places.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Would also be thankful to know what sort of weather I can expect at the end of November/beginning December.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

It's not hard to use up five days in Sydney, but you could conceivably get away with three, and spend the other two in nearby centres: the Blue Mountains can be done in a day trip, and Canberra is a terrific choice for a two-day one-night stopover.... and that trip is a GOOD way to use your hire car.

Frankly, it's the ONLY reason why you ought to be having a hire car. In Sydney you'll find it a nuisance.... as you have already divines, parking is not always readily available unless you go with the really expensive hotels, and when it is available, it's expensive and subject to all sorts of time restrictions. On the other hand, public transport is quite good, especially if you know the language. Even for the Blue Mountains day trip, a train followed by a bus will do the job easily as well as a hire car.

Good value accommodation can be found around Darling Harbour, which is not quite "in" Sydney (Darling Harbour is NOT Sydney harbour!) but is very close... and, since it has lots of new hotels, prices are competitive. Somebody got the Rockford down there for $AUD120 a night the other day, on the hotels own site... check out that thread, all of us "locals" thought that this price was just amazing (of course, it came with advance purchase restrictions). The Travelodge in Phillip Street is also good value for its location, which is a dream. The best area of all is called "the Rocks" -- it's the "old" section of Sydney, near the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, and all those postcard views... but you do pay for those views, and if you're not pressed for time, then there's no real benefit, I'd think, in taking out a second mortgage just to avoid a ten minute trip on the Underground. There's another good value hotel right near Town Hall Station (cnr Castlereagh and Park), but, as luck would have it, I can't call up the name right this minute, so I'll post this off now and come back later (someone else will undoubtedly chime in with the name in the next five minutes, anyway)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Weather: bright and hot, but frequently an afternoon storm just before dark. Bring a hat and sunglasses, and possibly some insect repellant.... but it's a great time for sunny photographs!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

That hotel near the Town hall is called Park Regis.... thought of it just as I hit the button. I hear the rooms are small and rather plain, which is why it's cheaper than the location would suggest. You can walk to the Opera House in twenty minutes, to Darling Harbour in twelve, to the Sydney Town hall or the Pitt Street Mall in three, to Hyde Park in one.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Agree with Alan, you don't need a car in Sydney itself & it depends where you want to go for any daytrips as to if you'll need one then. Check out the day trips FAQ under "more about Sydney" in the little box on the RHS of this page.

For hotel price range check out www.wotif.com & a site that compares all booking sites http://www.hotelscombined.com/ any that appeal contact the hotel direct for specials.

The weather then should be starting to warm up - mid 20's (celcius) daytime.

…nsw.gov.au/aboutsydney/…Weather.asp

Berkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Thanks so much for your very comprehensive information that's great. I am thinking we should probably let go of the hire car and I think staying in Darling Harbour sounds like a good plan - don't fancy paying through the teeth just to be a bit closer to the action and walking is good for you right and you get to see a bit more.

Thanks again all for the information I will be checking our the suggested accommodation.

Looking forward to my trip big time now :o)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

there is a free 555 bus that goes between circular quay and central railway making it easy to get from one end of the city to the other end. check the hours when the bus stops running.

www.sydneybuses.info/free-cbd-shuttle.htm

sydney is an easy city to walk around so bring good shoes.

i would suggest staying central and taking the bus to see bondi, from bondi you could do the coastal walk to bronte or coogee, a must-do is taking the ferry to manly

have a look that the hotel stellar...location is quite handy to the cafes of darlinghurst, easy access to transport by bus or train.

there are many sites to check for prices...here's one http://www.hotelstellar.com/

also www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

reviews here on TA

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 12 October 2010, 20:22
Berkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Hi again, trying to decide between these 3 hotels.

The Meriton is slightly cheaper but says its a 5 star, but I think it might be a bit further out. Can anyone recommend any of these above the other?

Thanks

Meriton Kent Street 5 Star £495 for studio apartment. Non refundable, indoor pool I think (maybe a bit further out than the below 2.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g255060-d6…

Metro Hotel City Central 3.5star £538 roof top pool, average reviews.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g255060-d2573…

Park Regis hotel 3.5star - mentioned by guy on trip advisor. Roof top pool hotel. No direct availability on hotel website but though expedia. £540

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g255060-d2566…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

The Meriton is slightly cheaper but says its a 5 star, but I think it might be a bit further out.

actually, location of meriton kent is quite good with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby. if you are here for 5 nights, an apartment is good for the kitchen and laundry facilities, the space and the option of getting your own supplies in for breakfast and supper.

park regis is right in the heart of sydney as mentioned by Alan.

not so keen on the metro out of the 3 of these

Sydney
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: 5 Nights in Sydney - Where to stay

Have a day at Cronulla Beach. Catch the train about 50 minutes from the city.Walk from South Cronulla to Eloura beach along the beach path. Along the way stop for lunch and a swim and relax and enjoy.