We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oz where to go and how long to go for

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
oz where to go and how long to go for

going to austraila in july and booking it in december for 4/5weeks not sure where to start melbourne or cairns as thats the coast we want to do. i dont mind driving or what ever is the best way of getting around. what yee think is the best sights too do when where there and how long should we spend in each place.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,119 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

Hi 31744f,

I replied this on your previous post -

Looking at your question -

4 -5 weeks driving from Melbourne to Cairns. Its important to take into consideration that December/ January is our summer school holidays and all roads will be very busy and accommodation booked heavily. You best to plan ahead if you are driving Melbourne to Cairns.

Flying between destinations and then hiring a car at each place can work out the cheapest option, plus you do get to have time to relax & explore. Plus you can return rental cars at each airport.

itinerary suggestion or example : say 30days.

Fly into Melbourne - See Melbourne - 2 days. - no car.

Pickup hire car - drive the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide - 4 days. www.greatoceanrd.org.au - one of the best drives in the world.

Fly Adelaide to Sydney - www.jetstar.com.au www.virginblue.com.au wwwqantas.com.au

See Sydney - no car needed. - 4 days

Hire a car drive to Brisbane - 5 days. - stay Port Macquarie / Byron Bay.

or you could fly from Sydney to Byron Bay - pickup car & drive to Brisbane.

Visit Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast / Brisbane. - 5 days.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

Fly Brisbane to Proserpine (Whitsundays) drive Whitsundays to Cairns - 5 days. - See Airlie Beach / Whitsundays / Townsville / Magnetic Island / Mission Beach / Dunk island & Cairns.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Cairns region - 5 days. - see Cairns / Port Douglas/ Daintree National Park / Great Barrier Reef / Cape Tribulation.

Also be aware its stinger season in Nth Qld. wwwmarinestingers.com.au

happy planning,

EM.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

Ellemay, the OP is coming to australia in July. Booking it in december.

July is not a busy time on the roads. Although checking the school hols for QLD, NSW and VIC may help you plan.

July is winter so it is probably best to start in Cairns and come south as the weather will be warmer down south in August (though still very cold). Victoria mean temp in Aug=9.7degrees C in July =7.9 degrees C.

Frazer Island is fantastic and worth more than a day visit. It is a sand island with great wildlife.

I don't like Surfers Paradise at all - high rise units everywhere. Byron Bay is nice but I don't like Noosa as it is built up and busy. However, a lot of people love Noosa and Surfers so do your own research and see what you think you will like.

Byron Bay is nice with a light house on the most eastern point of australia which is worthe a visit. A climb up Mount Warning early in the morning so you are up there for dawn is absolutely fantastic.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

For 2 or more driving is probably cheaper than fllying (and certainly less hassle) and you get to see places you would otherwise miss. Even if it is just the dog on the tuckerbox or the big banana. Check the prices, your budget and work it out. Make sure you add tolls which are huge coming in from the Tullamarine airport in Melb to the city.

There are lots of really cheap ensuite cabins at caravan parks that make traveling by car cheap and comfortable.

There are cheap flights but be careful as some land at "odd" airports a fair distance from anywhere.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

Good suggestions so far but I do recommend you should do some reading here of the FAQs and Travellers Articles.

I'll add Myall Lakes area (NSW) and Dorrigo National Park (NSW) - as a possible stop-off points to explore.

You probably should go to each states visitor info websites -

Queensland - http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/

NSW - http://www.visitnsw.com/

Victoria - http://www.visitvictoria.com/

Also read something about our UNESCO heritage sites along and close to the east coast and then start formalising an itinerary.

I recommend Sydney 5 days minimum

Day 1 - basically arrival

Day 2 - Circular Quay/Sydney Harbour/The Rocks

Day 3 - Blue Mountains

Day 4 - Darling Harbour/centre of CBD/Chinatown etc

Day 5 - Sydney Beach etc

Edited: 07 September 2010, 17:46
5. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 23:38
6. Re: oz where to go and how long to go for

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 16:37