We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking inernal flights in OZ

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Booking inernal flights in OZ

Looking for a flight for 4 Sydney to Cairns at the end of the month.

Best price I found is just under AUS$400 with JetStar (also tried Qantas, Virgin Blue). A while back someone at work suggested that internal flights are much cheaper when booked from Oz (I am still in the UK). I cannot find anything online to support that.

Is there anything in it?

We will be there for 10 days before our flight, so can wait with the booking if the saving are considerable.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

We going in Dec also from the UK and we didn't find the flights any cheaper booking them from the UK or from OZ.

We did try as we were told the same as you!!

Have fun!!

we can't wait as I'm sure you are the same!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

A while back someone at work gave you bad steer...end of the months to Cairns is peak. School holidays and OS visitors combine. Cairns is a long way so any flight under $200 is a bargain and these are usually found months ahead and off season. Prices are more likely to increase

It's no cheaper to book from here....

this link use the pop upprices by travel date...you'll soon see the school hol dates

qantas.com.au/travel/…

Edited: 14 June 2010, 06:38
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

check prices on www.flightcentre.com.au......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

I wouldn't recommend that you use a specific TA in Australia but I would recommend that you subscribe to the Aussie websites of the airlines that fly to Cairns.

The airlines sometimes have special deals / happy hours / Friday Frenzy etc but as GW said, timing is everything when trying to get a cheaper deal. Not only will you find flights more expensive during school holidays for example, but sometimes accommodation is more in demand and therefore that's reflected in pricing too.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 08:45
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

And take a look at the Top Question FAQ on Internal Air Travel from the Australia forum page - especially the paragraph that lists the main independent booking websites. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c124168/Austr…

Luigi

Sydney
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

Mid November through til end of January is considered peak season in Australia so it'll be a little harder to find cheap domestic airfares but it's not impossible. Webjet is a good domestic website that will give you a good indication of upcoming prices for travel but may not always be the cheapest option.

I would suggest this website:

http://iwantthatflight.com.au/

One of the most handy websites around for getting bargain prices for cheap domestic travel. Make sure you regularly check back or sign up for their email alerts!

Happy hunting. =)

PS - Other websites in case you'd like to check out include Amadeus or Adioso though they're not nearly as focused on domestic flights as IWantThatFlight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

As G/W mentioned Qantas has a sale on now....also look into Flightcentre too. ( there is one one day left for a cheap ticket to Cairns)

see G/W link above for Qantas.

also www.webjet.com.au www.flightcentre.com.au

EM.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 16:58
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

EM,

that sale has a blockout period that covers the three weeks of school hols...

so i doubt any joy

We were hoping to head north the last 4 days of NSW hols...GD has a cycling camp in Adelaide...ive been watching Cairns closely since we knew it would fall in NSW school hols

here another option....

Townsville is $200..how about a car hire from there?

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

I cant believe how expensive Aussie Domestic flights are!

I need flights from Cairns to Alice Springs, and Alice Springs to Brisbane & each is going to cost me more than flying from NZ - Oz! Although they are probably twice the distance - 7hrs from Alice Springs to Brisbane!

I have found that www.flightcentre.com.au is good - seems to have more options than webjet, & a bit easier to follow.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking inernal flights in OZ

Unfortunately you're right - for some destinations from east coast Australia it is often easier to fly to NZ than fly interstate. If you want a recommendation, particularly if your trip is a while away, you should sign up to the mailing list for the Australian airlines - they often have sales at short notice for particular destinations.

Alice Springs is the expensive destination for your trip - Tiger flies there but only to Melbourne, otherwise you have to go with Qantas. The trip AS to Brisbane has no direct flights even with Qantas so you are essentially taking a very long stopover in Sydney or Melbourne. Check the details before you book anything to avoid lengthy stopovers if you can - Alice to Sydney is a long way to detour to get to Brisbane. The other way is to reorganise your trip to avoid such lengthy journeys.

Webjet is good for comparison of airlines in Australia, but they have high service fees so it's often better to go there and compare, then book directly through the airline's website itself for the cheapest fare. Sign up to the airline mailing lists as well and wait a little bit if you have a little time - Virgin Blue have sales on particular destinations at lunch time almost every day, and Jetstar have them once a week (Fridays) and other sales for mailing list members at particular times.