We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

KL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

Hi Guys

I'm travelling to Melbourne with my 12-year old daughter in Oct. We plan to fly to Sydney for a few days. Do you think I should book the tickets now or will there be better offer later by the budget airlines?

Thanks.

Regards

Sylvia

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,387 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

Hi,

Check out deals on www.webjet.com.au and www.flightcentre.com.au

Domestic Airlines www.jetstar.com.au www.virginblue.com.au www.qantas.com.au www.tigerairlines.com.au

usually if you buy your tickets early they are cheaper.

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

If you are flying during the last week of October, I'd be looking to book sooner rather than later because there may be more bookings with people flying down for the Caufield Cup (?) which is a week before the Melbourne Cup..

Vancouver, BC Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

Have you considered the overnight train with Country Link? It leaves MEL in the eve. and arrives in SYD early the next morning. The rail fare is competitive with with airline fares, but when you consider the savings of one night in a hotel, it is actually more economical.

Edited: 09 April 2010, 10:06
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

I would definitely book sooner, rather than later. Unless a "special sale" comes on line, which usually has conditions on dates to fly, the cheaper flights get snapped up first, leaving the more expensive ones (which allow for flight changes without penalty etc.)

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

While I agree with the general sentiment of booking sooner rather than later, I think you could wait just a little while and watch the sites, if you're travelling in October (given that this is 6 months ahead). While there are a few lower fares around, the base fare at present on both Virgin (with baggage) and Qantas for October is about $99 each way. This is pretty good, but I'd be surprised if these prices are going to increase too much in the next few weeks, and there's the possibility of a sale in the meantime that could get you down to below $90. Having said this, it must be said that there's no certainty about anything in this area, and I've read somewhere that with airfares, when you see a fare that's acceptable to you, you should take it and not look back at the site after you've booked!

6. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 23:12
KL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have since booked with Tiger Airway which cost me about $300 for two, and will not be looking back......:-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

^^^

I wouldn't speak so soon.

I flew Tiger to Melb and back last week... never again.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

im not starting up a dont fly Tiger airlines thread,Sylviacym,just,have a look at.......www.airlinequality.com for reviews of flights with Tiger, Jetstar, VirginBlue and Qantas.

that may help...

KL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight from Melbourne to Sydney

Read the reviews and some are really frightening! Totally regretted booking with them.:-(