We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
717 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic

Hello just would like to ask we are very interested in going to austraila in dec. Would 3/4 weeks be enough as we have no idea on where to start our trip or what we should see when there as it's such a huge place. If we can get some in put from you on cheap acc. etc, thanks in advance

Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
815 Reviews
from USD 162.60*
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
810 Reviews
from USD 157.10*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,227 Reviews
from USD 128.00*
Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour from...
1,101 Reviews
from USD 121.70*
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: austraila

That's kinda a piece of string question. You might like to have a squizz at the FAQ's and Trip Reports, and provide some more info about your interests. The good news is 3/4 weeks would let you see a lot, some people want to see the must-see's in one week! You might find this interesting. ga.gov.au/education/…aus-size-compared.jsp

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: austraila

3-4 weeks is ideal. Start with a map of the country and consider what cities you want to visit. Read about those cities and search for the obvious route. Come back and post specific questions and if you post your trip plan , the locals can help you optimize it.

Read past trip reports on this forum to see what others have done.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: austraila

Usually when I tackle the question of what to see in another country I often begin with what are the big ticket items - you know the major cities and the World Heritage natural and cultural sights. Usually I start with a time frame of 3 weeks for a country (after that I begin to get tired of travelling, but that's me - too much stimulation and I start to get blase) and then pick and choose and discard based on my preferences.

The big ticket items are obviously Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef and Uluru. But that does not mean you have to do all of these either in THIS trip to Australia.

To work out where to start the trip - look at which airline connections you can get from your home town - can you afford an open jaw ticket - which means yu don't have to back track. Minimising transportation also means less traveller fatigue.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: austraila

Have a look at www.australia.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: austraila

I agree with the other's responses and just wanted to add if you can give us an idea of what you'd like to see - bush or city, adventure or cultural, wildlife or city life, beach or mountains etc etc.

Have a read of the Trip Reports - right hand side of the forum page - the Australia Forum page is a good place to start as it has the "Collection across Oz" where people have travelled to various states during their trip here which is what I imagine you'll be doing.

Also, what do you mean by cheap - backpacker / hostel? or self contained accom such as an apartment.

When do you plan to come to Australia? That will have some bearing on where you go too.

And one other thing, as you know Australia is huge so don't underestimate how much time it will take to get from one place to another - eg around 3 hrs flying time from Sydney to Cairns or Uluru, or about 1 1/2 hrs flying time to Brisbane, 4hrs or so to Perth etc

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: austraila

School holidays begin in most States 0n 17th Dec. and many people take their annual holidays from this time until well into 2011.

Price wise this is the high season, especially for accomodation. . If youi were able to come in February/March or even March/April (not forgetting Easter 2011) then some prices may be cheaper and accom definitely more easily obtainable. The weather for the northerly States will be better, the weather for the southerly States will still be warm.

However, if you cannot change your vacation dates, then you need to decide quickly where you want to go/stay so that your accom can be secured.

Cheapest accom is usually Backpacker/hostel. Join your local International Hostel Assoc to receive discounts and ideas on different , and cheaper tours. Camping is cheapest and then there are cabins at caravan parks.

Gather all the literature you can about Australia - Lonely Planet aGuide, tourist Agency brochures, library books. And of course all the advice here on TA.

How many people is ' we' ?

"obviously Sydney' !! Now now, 'xiantraveller"

I would say, "obvously Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road"!! - friendly rivalry, madsion!.

Many people do say City, Reef and Rock, as these are a bit synonymous with Australia.

But you have to tell us if you are more interested in shopping and night life, or nature and scenery.

If you come in our springtime - September/October then the choice is Western Australia which has the most fabulous wildflower displays.

Maybe you want to go climbing and hiking in Cradle Mouantain in Tasmania. Well that would be Februaury /March.

Or snorkelling/diving on the Great Barrier Reef, then choose May to October.

Gather your thoughts and your interests. Start researching big time and do ask us some more questions when you have formulated a few ideas.

Qantas airlines

7. Re: austraila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 16:16