We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

Hi, We will be in Sydney next week before our cruise. I would love to go to one of the Markets. Not sure which one is the best to see. Any help would be appreciated

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

What day you will be in Sydney is crucial and that will matter for both markets.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,604 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

Hi Tracey,

both markets have a completely different feel to them and offer different goods. In my view, they are a bit like chalk and cheese.

Last time I was at The Rocks Market, there were hand made Australian items and produce for sale and a good mix of other items. It's a bit more up-market than Paddy's and that's possibly helped by some of the shops around the Rocks area, and being able to see the harbour is always a plus IMO.

Paddys Market which operates from Thursday to Sunday has cheap clothes and souvenirs as well as fresh fruit and veges. It's right next to Chinatown and due to its location at the southern end of the Darling Harbour precinct, it's a good place to start your exploration of the area.

Above Paddy's Market is a retail centre called Market City which has some outlet type clothing stores. There are also some cheap souvenir shops here but their prices can be quite high - eg $9 for a set of pens which you can buy at a $2 shop elsewhere, but if time is of the essence, it's probably not a bad place for shopping if the products are what you are after. On the top floor of this centre, you'll find a food court where you can buy different Asian dishes for a reasonable price otherwise you have a lot of choices at various restaurants in Chinatown and around Hay Street..

Check out the opening times in the web sites provided by Skateboardgirl

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

Last time I looked through th Rocks markets there was no clothing - mainly craft items and souvenirs - many handcrafted or well made.

Paddys fashion - T shirts, predominanently young women's and mens - teenage to 20s. Paddys also has very cheap souvenirs etc though fun to walk through.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

I understand that Paddy's is also now open on Wednesdays. They were making a big thing about it while we were there last October.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

If you have time go to Paddington market on a Saturday, more variety and upscale, one of a kind creations and gifts. Google the site and check past threads on this.

6. Re: Sydney Markets Paddy's or the +Rocks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 16:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question