We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

cooloola
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

I am looking for a good location to spend 2 to 3 nights between Nambucaa Heads and Nelson Bay. Was thinking perhaps Port Macquarie outskirts or around Tuncurry / Forster but open to suggestions as long as there is plenty to see and do in the area. A days fishing for my partner would put him in a good mood for a few days so ideally a good place for land based fishing would be a bonus. We are country living folk so perfer to stay in smaller communities.

Cheers H

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

One of my faves would be North Haven Laurieton.

Fish off the break wall, nice sirf beach, no real shopping centre a motel but mostly caravan park cabin accom.

You also have the options of Lake Cathe and Bonny Hills in the same area.

cooloola
Level Contributor
72 posts
2. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

Thanks. Had this location on my list so will take a closer look. Any suggestions re other things we can see or do in this area.

Cheers H

cooloola
Level Contributor
72 posts
3. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

Thanks. Had this location on my list so will take a closer look. Any suggestions re other things we can see or do in this area.

Cheers H

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,193 posts
2,021 reviews
4. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

Hi,

G/W advice is excellent, North Haven has a great beach break wall which is terrific for fishing. Other suggestions, South West Rocks, Crescent Head , Hat Head , Scotts and Grassy Heads are excellent for fishing too.

See link below for additional info regarding this coastal route.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

I quite like the Boomerang Beach/Smiths Lakes/Pacific Palms area near Forster, fairly quiet out of peak times...

greatlakes.org.au/pages/around-the-region/

http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Forster.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

It's basically all the things you can do out of Port. My fave is a picnic at the top of North (?) Brother mountain and taking a little putt putt along the river to fish.

For more upmarket options you have several wineries and nice drives up into the hinterland near Wauchope, there's the Koala Hospital in Port itself. I think the free tours are at 3pm.

7. Re: 2 to 3 night stay between Nambucca Heads and Nelson Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 16:16