We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

Orlando
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

Hi All,

I am getting married in Jan of 2011 and will be honeymooning in Australia for three weeks. I recently purchased a lonely planet guide and have been pouring over it but I'm already overloaded with information and can't make heads or tails. Hopefully someone can suggest a suitable itinerary for us.

We will be arriving in Sydney on Jan 24th. We will be spending at least 6 or 7 days in Sydney with no car. So far the bridge climb, opera house tour, botanical gardens, shopping, bondi beach, zoo, fish market are definitely on our list of things to do. Also I want to spend at least one night in the blue mountain area. I'm not fond of tours but I haven't ruled anything out at this point.

With the country being so vast, I can't seem to figure out what order to do the rest of the cities in. We will be traveling to the following: Cairns (great barrier reef), Adelaide and Kangaroo Island, Melbourne, Uluru (2 nights only). We also want to go to either the Barossa or Hunter Valley to do a wine tour.

Any suggestions?? More than likely we will be flying between the cities.

Thanks in advance

-Sharon

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

Hi msblowfish

Great to see you've been doing some research & have begun to put an itinerary together!

I would certainly recommend at least an overnight stay at the Blue Mountains (would be better!). If you were to hire a car for this, you could then continue on to the Hunter Valley for a night.

You could then fly Syd-Cairns-Uluru-Adel(hire car to Barossa)-Mel

http://www.webjet.com.au/flights/

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

I always have that problem when I begin planning a new trip too. I read the guide book and want to see just about everything. Luckily you have plenty of time to settle on what it is you want to do.

At that time of year over the period you mention it will be much of a muchness re the order you go around the country, so it'll be ruled by the logistics. A big circle as Mikey has recommended would be the way to go.

It's a good idea to spend some time in Sydney right up as you'll have Australia Day on the 26th with lots going on. They have a website for the event so keep an eye on that. This years program should give you an idea of the sort of thing that's on.

http://www.australiaday.com.au/

and you'll catch the end of the Sydney Festival also

http://www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2010/

As for wine areas, the different areas produce different sorts of wine so if you have a strong preference red or white or whatever that may influence your decision. From a scenery and villages point of view I reckon the Barossa is far more beautiful and charming than the Hunter Valley. Barossa is mainly reds though... I would be inclined to book somewhere nice and romantic and spend a couple of days in the Barossa if you can spare the time, as it's more than just wine. We visited for the first time just recently and totally fell in love with the area and found it utterly charming.

Even with three weeks you have an ambitious plan so far. You might have to wait a few weeks to play with the flight logistics etc when you are not more than 12 months out for the websites, but I would say do that and sketch out how it looks without actually booking things and then see how it's looking.

Have fun planning! It sounds like it will be a totally awesome honeymoon.

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

HI msblowfish,

Well you have basically covered everything! But there is one thing that you may enjoy that you may have considered. Its the rocks market. It is amazing.

It has stall for everyone!

Feel free to send me a message about this topic!

Hope this was helpful!

Bobbi101

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

Hi,

Your itinerary looks good, however a little tight regarding 21 days. Just to add some additional info on :

Uluru - tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

My Trip Report on Kangaroo Island which may assist you :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k3070…

also have a look on the Collection of Trip Reports on SA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c121005/Austr…

Ditto on Barossa Valley being more superior to the Hunter Valley reagrding wineries and scenery.

For order you need to consider Uluru - as Qantas is the only airline which flies direct from Sydney or Cairns on your noted cities, also what city are you departing from ??

Qantas flies direct from Sydney, Perth, Cairns and Alice Springs . www.qantas.com.au

Itinerary - 21 days - 3 weeks.

SYD - 5 days / 1 day Blue Mtn / Uluru - 2 / Cairns - 4 days / Melbourne - 4 days / Adelaide - 2 days / KI - 3 days / Syd - 1 day - fly home.

Happy planning and congratulations too !

EM.

5. Re: 3 Week Honeymoon starting in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 14:17