We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent Cars

Dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Rent Cars

I would appreciate information on company airportrentacar.com.au. They are in all major airports that my wife are traveling in Australia on trip from USA.

I have looked at the TA forums for each city and have found no information? Their prices are most completive with big four.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Rent Cars

have never heard of them. this may be a good or bad thing!

they are not at airports but off site. u have to call and wait for a pick up.

they may sound cheap but they dont have unlimited mileage ie. only 200km a day (cumulative) free then u pay 25c/km

their cdw costs $16/day and extra driver $5/day.

so read their conditions carefully to make sure they are really "the most competitive".

Dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2. Re: Rent Cars

Thank You for your comments---No one seems to have heard of airportrentacar.com.au. I think I will use another company!

Dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
3. Re: Rent Cars

After checking "deeper", the company is actually

www.rentforless.com.au

has anyone ever used this company to rent a car?

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Rent Cars

In my experience, the insiginificant savings of all these 2nd tier car rental companies simply aren't worth the fuss and bother of getting to and from their locations in isolated industrial estates a kilometre or two from the airport. They usually have older model cars, plus limitations on milage etc etc. The one non-international chain in Sydney that *is* reputable and can be recommended is Bayswater Car Rental, William St, Kings Cross. http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/ They're price competetive for longer rentals, though for just a day or two they're not much cheaper than Avis/Europcar/Hertz/Thrifty/Budget. Bayswater also have daily free km limits, though they possibly have an unlimited km option as well. Their pricing is a little less than fully transparent, so read the fine print.

Are you planning to do day trips out of Sydney to places like the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, Royal National Park, Port Stephens etc?? That would be the only reason I could see for needing a car while in Sydney. A cab will get you from the airport to a CBD hotel for around $40 and then your own two feet or public transport will get you to all the tourist hotspots in the city and will get you there almost as quickly as driving - or faster in some cases, without the stress of driving on the "wrong" side of the road in an unfamiliar city with (sometimes) agressive drivers. Hotel parking runs at around $30 a day; a lot to pay for a car which will sit idle much of the time if you're doing the nomal city tourist stuff.

If you only need a car for a day trip or two out of the city, get a cab from the airport to your accommodation, then pick up a car at a CBD branch office of your preferred rental company to aviod paying the hefty daily airport surcharge on the rental.

5. Re: Rent Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 14:18