We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Coming to Sydney for weekend 26-28 Feb, and intend bookign Four Seasons,very central to Circular Quay.

Wanting to do a beach day if weahter is good, was thinking of Bondi, but now thinking Manly location will be easier, and all the posters seem to indicate a trip to Manly on the ferry is a must

Questions:

What times do the ferries start and finish in lat Feb, so we dont miss the ride home!

What else is there to do, other than beach etc in Manly? Trying to figure out how much time we should plan an what else we should do that day?

My hubby wants to go to Tooronga Zoo again, is this possible in the morning, then head onto Manly? Im not sure if its close by but I know you catch a ferry to both ! If so, thought we could do Zoo in morning, have lunch, go to beach and head back at sunset?

Thoughts please???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Hi Blondelinda,

Firstly, have a read through the link below for ALL info on Manly.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-d257487/Sydne…

Its doable to do Taronga Zoo in the morning and Manly in the late afternoon and have dinner at Hugo's / Le Kiosk or Garfish.

You have to catch the ferry to TZ from Circular Quay and return to CQ to catch another ferry to Manly. Unfortunately, no ferry goes to both.

For timetables regarding times : www.sydneyferries.info/

You could have a whole afternoon and evening in Manly. Bring your swimmers as the water could totally seduce you into having a swim.

I had a swim today in the surf at Queenscliff (Nth part of Manly Beach) and the water temp and surf were totally divine......

EM.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 23:14
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

EM

thanks 4 that

If we have to come back to CQ I would do them on different days.

We have fri Sat and all Sunday in Sydney

Weather permitting, I think we will arrive early friday(9am) check in, go for a stroll and look around, and possibly do the zoo that afternoon, I will have to check the closing times, then come back for dinner

Then I could have all of Sat in Manly :-)

Sunday we would do other stuff in Sydney

I was only thinking of doing both in one day if the ferry did the stop, as I know you do the circle to watsons bay etc when you do the zoo. We may do all of that circle with the zoo actually .

thannx

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Yes, great idea...do the Zoo in the afternoon on your arrival that leaves you plenty of time to explore either Manly or Bondi the next day.

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

I'd suggest go to the Zoo in the morning and than catch the bus at the front of the zoo to Balmoral Beach a very short ride away. Lovely beach with the restaurant Bather's Pavilion right there for lunch or dinner or a great snack. Really nice spot.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

I know it probably depends on the weather as to which days you things, but if you can go to the zoo friday arvo, that will probably be the quietest time, not being a w/end & the school groups tend to leave by 2pm.

If you were to visit Manly sat/sat evening you would also get to see the city lights on the return ferry.

Sundays tend to get very crowded on the ferries if the weather is nice due to the cheap sundayfunday tickets for families.

Edited: 15 January 2010, 06:26
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

hi ginger,

bus stop right out front of zoo for balmoral? How longa ride is it and what can we expect to do In Balmoral? Beach obiously, and anything else??? Is Balmoral as good as Manly??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Hi BlondeL,

Balmoral Beach is gorgeous, in the old days you could catch a ferry from CQ to Balmoral Baths,

You need to catch a ferry to Mosman Wharf from CQ, and then hop on the bus at the wharf to take you to Balmoral Beach...or some just go to Mosman Junction and you need to walk down Raglan Street to Balmoral.

www.131500.com.au/ for transport info.

However, last month Mosman Council has introduced a new hop on / hop off service around the area with a full commentary info regarding the history of Mosman. I have NOT yet experienced the service but I did meet some TA members from UK last week who loved the whole adventure.

or read ALL about it on :

mosman.nsw.gov.au/mosman/place/mosman-rider

…nsw.gov.au/mosman/place/public-transport

My favourite beaches are : Manly / Balmoral / Newport and Palm Beach so its difficult for me to say one is better than the other except Balmoral does NOT have waves. If you have never visited Manly Beach then I would suggest you make it on top of your Do List.

EM.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Hey EM

Do u happen to know if there isa bus service from TZ to manley?

Someone has susggested there may be, I have ggogled but cant find one??

Am still considering doing TZ Sat morning early, have lunch then head to Manley for the day, stay for dinner then head home on the late ferry

thanx again 4 all your wonderfull advise

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,423 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

Hi,

I'm pretty sure there is NO direct bus to Manly from the Zoo. You would have to catch the bus up to Spit Junction (Mosman) and then wait for the Number 144 bus to Manly. (not a big deal - as the bus stop is just outside the Zoo) near the wharf. Buses leave for Balmoral Beach and Mosman.

The other option is to catch the ferry back to CQ and then hop onto the ferry to Manly. All your list is do-able for a day / evening...

10. Re: Manyl for a day trip: what else to do and the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 14:17