We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Sydney

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
NYE in Sydney

i know it's way early but me and my girlfriends are planning to spend xmas & NYE in Australia and New Zealand. We were initially planning on spending NYE in New Zealand but, Sydney seems the place to be for NYE specifically for the amazing fireworks display by the opera house.

Just wondering where the hotspots are in Sydney for NYE. We're 3 girlfriends in our late 20s to early 30s, and it'll be our 1st time in AU/NZ so we're looking for a memorable time :)

Any suggestions?

All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
1,057 Reviews
from USD 159.40*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,670 Reviews
from USD 121.70*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
873 Reviews
from USD 114.10*
USD 163.10
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,196 posts
2,027 reviews
1. Re: NYE in Sydney

Hi,

TravelJ, its a good thing to enquire about NYE early as you do need to book accommodation and tickets.

Have a look at these links below for info on advantage points.

…nsw.gov.au/nye/…default.aspx

Hot spots for your age group would be around the Opera Bar / Lawn with a view - Botanical Gardens / Mrs Macquarie Chair / Kirribilli / The Rocks / Darling Harbour or a harbour cruise.

www.operabar.com.au/#/gallery/new_years_eve

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: NYE in Sydney

hey, thanks for the quick reply. i appreciate all the helpful links and all the NYE celebration options you suggested :)

i initially planned on celebrating NYE in New Zealand since it's the 1st major place that goes over into the new year but i seem to be reading more stuff about NYE in Sydney. all your suggestions sound great.

i posted the same question on the NZ forum and i even have some locals tell me that i'm better off in Sydney for the BIG celebration :)

thanks again :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: NYE in Sydney

Well if you are looking for a great place to watch the fireworksthen head down to Cremorne point, but get in early. This year they are cutting off some people because its gets rather crowded. The amazing fireworks are definatley worth seeing. That'll bea memorable moment.

Also if you are looking for a great view of Sydney, ring the bridgeclimb about it. You'll get a great view from there before the new year starts!

Hope this helped. Fell free to ask any questions about Sydney/Aus

Bobbi101

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: NYE in Sydney

I would definitely recommend a ticketed event. We did the James Craig harbour cruise and it was great. We didn't have to worry about queuing to get a view somewhere and having to be in place for hours before.

Depending on your budget there are lots of options - we saw events costing up to $1000 (Fort Denison) or $895 (the opera house - looked amazing set up, with top international DJ's etc), all with good views of the fireworks.

People we spoke to who went to the free viewing points said they were pretty bored by the time the fireworks actually started cos they had to be in place so early to get a spot.

5. Re: NYE in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 14:17