We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast near Shangri La?

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
16 reviews
Breakfast near Shangri La?

Hi, we are visiting Sydney over Christmas - hotel breakfasts are known for being expensive and not all that great so we are keen to get out of the hotel for breakfast - can anyone recommend a couple of good reasonable placed near the Shangri La (Rocks area). Thanks.

All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
1,057 Reviews
from USD 159.40*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,670 Reviews
from USD 121.70*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
873 Reviews
from USD 114.10*
USD 163.10
Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

About the only place I can think of that's worth recommending in that part of town is La Renaissance patisserie francaise dans La Rocks in Argyle St. It's one of the few good, tradtional patisseries in Sydney and one of the few standouts in the otherwise fairly bland and tourist oriented Rocks cafe/restaurant scene.

If you don't mind travelling a bit to get to breakfast and want a real treat, then I'd recommend Bills in Darlinghurst (or Bills 2 in Surry Hills). Both accessable by bus or a short cab ride. Concierge will be able to give you directions.

Another lovely way to start the day would be to jump on a ferry over to Neutral Bay (10 mins) and have breakfast at the cute little Thelma and Louise cafe right at the ferry wharf. (I used to live in that street and had many, many good breakfasts at T&L!!!)

Heading over to Many on the ferry (30 mins), then walking across to the ocean beach you'll have a wide choice of cafes all serving good breakfasts. A long leisurly breakfast, juice a couple of coffees, the newspaper and sunshine and sea breeze streaming in through the open windows are a great start to the day!!

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

Sounds perfect! Thanks for your helpful reply.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

I would recommend avoiding Renaissance Patisserie. The two women we encountered at the counter were extraordinarily rude--impatient, unhelpful and downright nasty for no reason whatsoever. Not a nice way to start off the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,196 posts
2,027 reviews
4. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

Ditto on Thelma and Louise for a super breakfast plus you get to see our stunning harbour too...

City Extra Circular Quay - would be the closest to you and is reasonable too.

Other places which are stand outs but not too close to the Rocks..but easily acessible by taxi.

Bourke Street Bakery - 633 Bourke St Surry Hills.

Kazbah Balmain -379 Darling Street, Balmain

Fratelli Paradiso 12-16 Challis Avenue, Potts Point.

My favourite Bathers Pavillion Cafe - but a little more difficult to get to...

Edited: 18 January 2010, 00:46
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

Guylian Chocolate Cafe at the Rocks also offer a breakfast menu - muesli and pancakes, fruit, pastries

91 George Street

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
174 reviews
6. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

LOL perhaps goanewyear will let us know where he/she ended up having breakfast seeing as he/she was there over Christmas!

Still I guess some good suggestions for anyone searching/lurking ;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

Oh Mikey had no idea the thread was so old. You mean goanewyear hasn't done a trip report yet, ha ha!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
174 reviews
8. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

might be still travelling ;-)

9. Re: Breakfast near Shangri La?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 17:17