We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

I know there has been much discussion on best modes of transport between the airport and city, but for those of you "in the know" I would like answers to the following question.

We (2 of us) are arriving at T1 at 5.15pm on a Thursday night early December. Have booked in at the YHA The Rocks,110 Cumberland Street. We will have two large and heavy suitcases plus a backpack. We will need door to door transport, I would imagine that trains and buses wouldn't be an option. So I guess we'll have to go for a shuttle or taxi. Could I have an indication of the price, for that time of the evening, of a taxi? I see a company called Airport Connect charges $12 door to door. This would be cheaper than a taxi for two, but in other travellers' experience, how inconvenient is this option (waiting time, dropping others off etc)?

Sydney
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
1. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

The good news is that at that time of the day you are travelling in the opposite direction to the traffic so it should be a relatively quick trip in.

You're absolutely right, the train is not an option with that much luggage and a taxi is of course the most convenient. A cab should set you back about $30, which is only $6 more than what you'll pay for the 2 of you on the shuttle bus. Plus you don't have to wait for the bus or go along the journey dropping everyone else off before you get to your YHA.

Have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
174 reviews
2. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

Unfortunately at that time of day traffic will often be heavy travelling in any direction, including airport to the city.

To get to the Rocks quite a bit of the actual travel is through the CBD which is notoriously slow, particularly on a thursday night with extended shopping hours.

My estimate for a taxi fare would be considerably more ($50+ has been reported recently) than the previous poster has suggested.

I guess you have to way up the pros & cons of shuttles that you've been reading about if you decide that is too expensive.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

It's really quite painful travelling anywhere at that time; ALL city streets are routinely gridlocked and it may take 1hr+ to get to your hostel.

The train comes at least every 5mins, takes 20 mins and will be empty. Stations at both ends have lifts. Even if you have to cab it from CQ, you'll save a lot of time (and stressful frustration - the worst thing about traffic jams)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
4. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

Thanks for all your replies. Aussieboy90 you have mentioned that the trains will be empty - I would have thought the opposite at that time of day? Rush hour? The train option is preferable I guess, cheaper and quicker and no waiting for a shuttle. We would get a taxi from CQ. If we are able to get our suitcases onto the train and there is room on the train for them, then I think that's the way we will go. Does anyone know whether the trolleys (that you can put your suitcases on) can be pushed all the way to where the train leaves? (we will have heavy suitcases and I, for one, won't be able to pull it a long distance).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
204 reviews
5. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

Trolleys must be dumped before entering the station, you then go through the gates about 10-15m and into the lift 10-15m and down to the platform.

Circ Quay, lift from platform then prob a good 50-100m walk to a taxi depending on where you exit from. but take into consideration the possibilyt of exiting office workers

Can't comment on the shuttle...taxi will be hit and miss...we've had fantastic runs the last few weeks on Fri nights (last 2 wks excepted as we've been away) it's one of the few times using the Distrubutor can be valuable (city north exit)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
168 reviews
6. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

Hi Ruby

The trains will have people on them, but they won't be jam packed as many of the commuters will be heading home from the city after work, therefore heading in the opposite direction to you. True some people may go into the city to shop etc but I think that the number of people heading away from the city on a train will be more than those going into the city by train

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

GW makes a good point; the airport freeway does have an exit just near Circular Quay - enabling cabs to escape the gridlock for most of the journey ($5 additional toll and extra kms though.)

In the city, the rail runs in a big horse shoe shape, going to different areas to the south of Central Station. So going into the city, your train will be empty, and then fill up as you go around the "City Circle" towards Circular Quay. By the time you get off, it'll be about half full. The good part of this system is that they have to run trains into the city at the same frequency they need to run them out - meaning a train every 3mins even against the peak flow.

8. Re: Taxi, shuttle, train to The Rocks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 14:19