We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuddling a Koala

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
490 posts
153 reviews
161 helpful votes
Cuddling a Koala

Yes, I know it's very touristy, but so is coming to my hometown to see Mickey and his pals.

Where is the best place to cuddle a koala? I will be visiting Sydney, Perth, Melbourne. I'd prefer to do this in Sydney if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Cuddling a Koala

The only place I know of in Sydney where you can hold a koala is at Featherdale Zoo outside of Sydney on the way to the Blue Mountains. Most zoos do not allow this. Featherdale can easily be reached by car. It's a great little zoo where you can also feed the kangaroos and see other Australian wildlife.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
6 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Cuddling a Koala

Hi Orlando!

Too bad you're not going to South Australia. We held the koalas twice there, once at Cleland, a large zoo/wildlife conservation center in the Adelaide Hills east of the big city.

The other was at Paul's Place, a marvelous farm for meeting tame Australian wildlife. Paul's Place is on Kangaroo Island, in the north-center of the island about 30 miles west of the big town of Kingscote.

I don't think it kitchy to want to hold a koala! It's a marvelous introduction to Australian animals. You'd be able to spot the koalas up in trees at places such as Koala Walk, also on Kangaroo Island, and see them munching on eucalyptus in a Sydney zoo, but there's no joy like actually holding one in your arms, and of course being photographed.

I have some really nice photos we took doing that!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
63 reviews
86 helpful votes
3. Re: Cuddling a Koala

My understanding is that no where in New South Wales allows people to actually hold a Koala. In fact it's illegal due to the fact that humans can pass diseases on to the animals, it's stressful for them being passed from person to person and some wildlife parks were known to sedate the animals and cut their claws so short that they then had difficulties climbing trees. Featherdale's website just says you can "get up close and personal" with a Koala and have your photo taken with one

It seems Western Australia hasn't yet moved to pass lawas to outlaw Koala cuddling, so in Perth you can indulge at http://www.cohunu.com.au/ or http://www.marapana.com/ It seems bookings are recommended for koala cuddling.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Cuddling a Koala

It's also my understanding that koala "cuddling" is not allowed in NSW. Last time I checked, which admittedly was about a year ago, koala "cuddling" was not allowed in either Taronga Park or Featherdale, where was told that there are photo ops available with a koala, but not holding it. So would be interested to know if this has changed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
81 helpful votes
5. Re: Cuddling a Koala

Taronga zoo definitely does not allow this. I did see people at Featherdale holding kolas for photos two years ago, but it might have changed since then.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
19,294 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Cuddling a Koala

This is what the Australian Koala Foundation has to say about it. The site also lists where you can see koalas.

https://www.savethekoala.com/koalazoos.html

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
7. Re: Cuddling a Koala

I had also read that Koala cuddling was out as far as NSW went but then there was a report not long gone where someone posted on doing exactly that in NSW - did make me wonder at the time and certainly if they're sedating them, I'd definitely say just look and then give your dog or Mickey a bigger cuddle when home and just think of a Koala.

You can still do it in Queensland but looks like that's not on the itinerary.

8. Re: Cuddling a Koala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 19:20