We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Sydney - what to do

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
66 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Sydney - what to do

We will be picking up a cruise in Sydney but will be arriving

there ahead of time. So we will have 2 days to sight see.

Some help with what to see woud be great.

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

check out the "things to do" tab on the left hand side of this page and have a look at this link.

smh.com.au/travel/a-perfect-48-hours-in-sydn…

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Hi Di from LA -

1. Get a hop=on hop=off Sydney Explorer bus that takes in most of the main sights, or if you like walking, catch a train to Milson's Point and then walk back across the Harbour Bridge, down through the Rocks, across Circular Quay, past the Opera House, through the Botanic Gardens to Mrs Macquarie's Chair. This has to be one of the world's best urban walks. Others have reported the Opera House Tour is well worth doing, or perhaps attend a concert at the Opera House.

2. Take a ferry to Manly, and have a look around Manly.

3. You might like to meet some Australian wildlife - perhaps at the (spectacularly sited) zoo.

4. If you wanted to get out of the city, you could take a day trip to the Blue Mountains.

Have a great visit, enjoy your cruise.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Hi GrandmaDi

I also like the idea of the HOHO bus to get you orientated & to see what interests you..

Exploring by ferry is also a great way of seeing things...

Depending on where you are staying, you may also be able to make use of the free city bus...

Some links to have a read of:

sydneybuses.info/tourist-services/sydney-exp…

http://www.sydneyferries.info/

smh.com.au/news/…1228257139010.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k2466…

Have a fantastic holiday!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Ok...if I only had 2 days in Sydney...here's what I would be likely to do....

Definitely do a hop-on/hop-off tour or some other short tour to get around the major sights.

Do a harbour cruise. I know you are picking up a full sized cruise in Sydney, but this is an absolute MUST. I might be biased, but I (like many other Sydney-siders) think that we have THE most beautiful harbour in the world...and if you are only here once, you should try to experience it. There are many companies to choose from, you can enjoy champagne on a big modern catamaran, or go for a Barbecue on an old 'tall ship'. If your budget allows, try to do a twilight cruise, as you will then get the best of both worlds - day and night on the harbour!

Depending on how adventurous you are...you could alternatively do a Bridge Climb...or try Jet boating! Just try to enjoy the Harbour somehow!

If finances are tight....at least catch the ferry to Manly and enjoy some fish and chips on the beach!

I would forget about Centrepoint Tower....if you want good views of the city, you are much better off on the Bridge Climb (or even in the Pylon Lookout - which is super cheap to get into by comparison)and offers similarly spectacular views)...and don't even THINK about eating there...unless it has changed dramatically in the last couple of years.

If you want to see some of Sydney's historic buildings, then stroll along Macquarie St...(there's a good cafe in Hyde Park Barracks for a caffeine hit!)...and be sure to stop and rub Il Porcelino's nose and make a wish.....

Dinner or lunch at the Rocks (another historic part of Sydney) and maybe a walking tour/pub tour/ghost tour of this area could prove interesting.

If you like zoos...then don't miss Taronga Park Zoo. Beauitiful outlook and a really lovely zoo.

If you are into shopping, then you will need to ensure that you make time to visit the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) and/or Darling Harbour and the ROcks Markets ()if your stay includes the weekend)

Right next to the Opera House (which you HAVE to see, of course) is the Royal Botanic Gardens which are truly lovely for a relaxing stroll with plently to look at...and more great views of THAT harbour!

Whatever you choose, be sure to pick up a copy of the "Official Guide to Sydney" when you arrive at the airport. This little booklet has lots of great ideas as well as quite a number of discount coupons for major attractions.

Good luck with your planning, and I hope you enjoy your stay in Sydney!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Hi Grandma

I agree with Mel's suggestions - here's a couple of sites that you might want to look into where you can get some more information and possibly prices of some of the attractions. With the exchange rate in your favour, you could shop til you drop or visit several attractions without breaking the bank !! LOL

Official NSW visitor’s site - www.visitnsw.com

City of Sydney site – www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Great info here... we are stopping here on the way back from NZ.

A shopping question!! My daughter wants to buy some UGGs when here, I dont want to spend all of our short time trailing around the shops looking for these as you can imagine! Can anyone advise where we would likely find these??

Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

Hi,

Have a look at this excellent thread.

tripadvisor.com/…7715986

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

oops, sorry I forgot to say..

Just do a search " Ugg Boots " you will be totally blown away how often this topic comes up in the Sydney Forum.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

re the UGGS - you pick them up in lots of places but make sure that they are all sheepskin. Many of the cheaper ones I've seen are synthetic made to look like wool.

I think that the "typical" souvenir shops have them and if they ae the genuine article, you could pay up to about $AUD70 or so for them or perhaops more depending on how well they are made and if they are decorated in some way (eg laces). Good ones will last a long time so they are worth it in my opinion.

10. Re: 2 days in Sydney - what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 07:17