We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

Can anyone from Sydney recommend a good place to watch the fireworks? I will have 3 kids and Granny with us - somewhere where we dont have to get there at lunchtime but where we can get a decent view. Last 2 times we went we were so far away we could nt see much. Any good not well known spots that you are prepared to share with us?

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

hi english rose! you can visit this website and it will tell you everything you need to know about nye in sydney..transportation, roadclosures, the works!!

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/

GOODLUCK!!!

P.S and take care of granny...its going to be loud...and make sure your son has a great time as well!!

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

hi english rose! you can visit this website and it will tell you everything you need to know about nye in sydney..transportation, roadclosures, the works!!

GOODLUCK!!!

P.S and take care of granny...its going to be loud...and make sure your son has a great time as well!!

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

GOODLUCK!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

thanks tasha great website!

Orange County...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

Hi Englishrose:

We will be traveling from the States to Sydney for New Years Eve with our two daughters, 13 and 15, and were interested in what you've found out about seeing the fireworks without having to camp out at noon. We were contemplating a nice dinner with the girls around 8:00 or so and at a restaurant near the bridge, but they're all so overpriced. Please let me know what you've decided. Thanks.

La Shauna Johnson

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

I too found all the restaurants very over- priced at New Years Eve. Its going to be a picnic for us at one of the vantage points I think. Not sure which one yet.

Sydney
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

hi English Rose.

The BEST place to be on NYE for the fireworks is the sydney harbour! What an AMAZING experience! you see it ALL! and especially the Harbour bridge fireworks,

If you stay in the city you get crushed by all the people near Mrs macquaries chair or the botanical gardens. Sad but true. They close off the Opera house area, unless you pay 500$ a ticket this only happened in the last 5 years or so. It can be quite scary with the massive crowds especially with young children.

I went on a harbour cruise 2 years ago and LOVED It.. You

are on the water without any obstructions, IE: buildings, trees, scaffolding or crowds and crowds.......... I would recommend the John Cadman cruise company who have very nice cruises, some include dinner others don't. But check with the companies to see which would be the most appropriate for children. Have a wonderful time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

I have done the harbour cruise before but this year there are 7 of us - far too expensive. I am hoping for a picnic spot instead.

California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

would people recommend the opera house special gala (with intermissions to view each fireworks show) or a cruise? Both are very expensive options ($400 pp AUD).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,951 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to watch the New Years Eve fireworks?

Around 400 is the norm. Most restaurants are charging this for a meal. It's hard to get anything at this time of year. The Opera House is an ideal place to view from but not sure what is on at the gala. They still have tix? Being on the harbour is also fantastic. I'd probably choose the cruise if the boat is a reasonable size and you get the atmosphere of the whole night