We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Which site would you recommend to be at to see the Sydney to Hobart race? Would it be by the Gap or somewhere near the harbour, or a different location?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

North Head (Manly).......or Dobroyd Head....(Balgowlah Heights)...best spots in Sydney.

the best spot is on a boat......there are organized ferries/ tours which take visitors out......a absolutely fun day !!

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

I agree with Ellemay. Get onto a harbour cruise - it's fantastic. Ur right in there, up & personal. Wind in ur hair, salt spray on ur face, champagne in ur hand. Perfect. You get a totally different perspective from water level.

You see the frantic actions on board the competitors boats. Hear the calls & watch as the sails unfurl.

way to go.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Hobart!

Thats actually not such a silly idea - its the same time as the Taste of Tasmania

And sometimes we even get good weather that time of year :)

Ah oops its in the Sydney thread - I'm still going to post this as I am a one-eyed (two headed?) Tassie girl!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Why not see the beginning and the end of the race :-) You'd have time to fly down and Tassie's gorgeous!

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Thats the spirit :)

Join uss... you will love it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

sounds like a fab idea all Tassie members........I would actually really like to experience the "end" in Hobart, I have heard its fantastic.....now you have me thinking !!

What actually happens ???......regarding where to party etc.etc..all info greatly appreciated.

we always go out on the yacht, its an amazing experience but also scary regarding all the boats .......our boat is big.....trying to maneuver is absolutely incredible.....

its like "did we pay this years insurance !".....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

P.S. I'm NOW extremely excited about your suggestions, regarding seeing the start and the end........

I have never thought of doing that adventure.....

Another question, if we decided NOT to see the start of the race but went to Hobart for Christmas with the family, is there any Xmas restaurants you could recommend ???

I'm trying to find another solution to Christmas......and Hobart now sounds like a fun idea...include the end of the Hobart Race.

Thanks,

EM.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Hiya Em

Id post on the tassie boards .. normally we seem to stay in our own area - Im just exploring the rest of the place and I LOVE tassie. So im busting in to the Sydney board :)

I do remember that the end of the race is spaced out, but its actually a lovely time of the year for Hobart everything is alive and buzzing while still keeping that "small town" atmosphere (is that even the right word for a capital city lol). And all the yachties are around.

Christmas dinner well depends what interests you - it ranges from prawns and wine on the beach all the way up to revolving restuarants

acommodation does tend to get a little thin on the ground though, so if you are coming nows the time to get organised. If you go outside hobart its a little easier + you get the benefit of the seeing even more lovely spots

Id love to own a boat! Even if you dont get here new years you should still come - but then I am horribly biased :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

Hi Natt,

I always go on the Australian forum, I have never entered the Sydney Forum , to me its absolutely fabulous you have entered into this site and why narrow down your destination. Just because you come from any state in Australia.

You no doubt have valuable information to all travellers, so welcome abroad Natt....

I have been to Tassie a few times and love it..to me its a big gem in a huge country. Tassie reminds me of NZ, with its beautiful wild desolate countryside and stunning rivers, beaches, mountains and national parks.

Getting back to Hobart.....I would have to book now....if wanting to see the end of the Sydney to Hobart race. (any other info, regarding where to positioned or where to go to be in the heat of the moment) would be great.

Thanks !

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Is The Best Place To View The Sydney To Hobart Race?

If you want to do it in style then do it on the Harbour. I am talking about watching the Yacht race.

sydney.com.au/sydney-to-hobart-yacht-race.htm

Enjoy

Oscar