We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

My wife and I live in Bonners Ferry, Idaho, USA. We are planning to visit Sydney for sixteen (16) days in January 2019 for a vacation. We believe we need a travel agent to help us put this together. Does anyone have a good travel agent in mind who could assist us? We would prefer that the travel agent is in north Idaho or Spokane, Washington, but we can use some other agent. If from Spokane or North Idaho, the only advantage would be that we could visit with the agent in person. Any ideas?

All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
1,057 Reviews
from USD 159.40*
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,672 Reviews
from USD 121.70*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
874 Reviews
from USD 114.10*
USD 163.00
21 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

You don’t need a travel agent to put this together.

Almost everyone on this forum is an independent traveler booking everything themselves and we are happy to help you sort it.

Book your flights (after your visa has been approved) then book your accommodation, then work out what you want to see and do each day.

Are you planning to stay in Sydney the whole time? With 14 nights on the ground in Aus, you could easily visit one or two other major destinations but you would have to fly betwee them. Or, you could do a road trip out of Sydney if that appeals.

Have a look at www.australia.com to give you some ideas to start working with.

Use web jet.com for flight searches, but make your bookings direct with the airlines themselves. Same with hotels - search booking.com but you will usually get a better or same price by booking direct with the hotel.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

Also, Australia is the same size as the lower 48 states: https:/…mind-boggling-australian-maps

Keep this in mind for your planning.

Here is the only website you should use for your visa:

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

Cheers.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

Our first family trip abroad, 8 and 14 year olds have never flown, I have never booked an abroad holiday myself until niw. I have sorted 4 weeks, 6 flights, 6 hotels, 2 lots of car hire. If I can do it, anyone can! I have done it for half the price the travel agents quoted me, and much better hotels than they quoted for. Do the research and go for it

Good luck and happy travels

England, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

hi Oswald, I agree with the comments above - but if you are daunted by the prospect of putting together an itinerary from scratch, you could talk to a local bricks and mortar travel agent, browse some brochures, or have a chat to someone at Trailfinders without commitment. We, a retired couple from England, are travelling independently for our first visit to Australia next May/June, taking four weeks. Like The4ofus, I have booked international and domestic flights, hotels and cars. We are entering Australia via Sydney, then going to Port Douglas for the Great Barrier reef, then Darwin to drive to Uluru (the classic Bridge, Reef and Rock ensemble!) Do what feels right for you, and keep reading these brilliant forums for tips

Good luck!

Carole

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

A little more info from

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g25…

>>We are coming to Sydney for 16 days in January, followed by eight days on the Gold Coast. On the Gold Coast, we have a friend we can stay with.<<

but I still think 14 days is extremely generous for one location, even if your intention is to have a very relaxing live like the locals style vacation.

Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

I have been asked why sixteen days in Sydney. The total vacation is 24 days on the ground, eight on the Gold Coast (where we have a place to stay with a friend) and 16 days in Sydney. We have been to Sydney once together (2013) and loved it. There is so much to see and do and to enjoy in Sydney and we believe that, given the fact that we will spend a lot of time on beaches there, 16 days and nights in Sydney is not unreasonable. Our favorite beach is Bondi Beach, even if it is over-crowded at times. We also want to see Bronte, Manly, and Tamarama. Beach In 2013, we went to Bondi a few times, Manly twice and Coogee Beach one time. We do plan to see the Blue Mountains one time on a day trip and are thinking of trips to Wollongong and to The Hunter Valley. Someone mentioned Jervis Bay and I guess I will look at that. I had not heard of it before. I have been to Australia twice in my life, but only once with my wife due to the fact that in the 1990s I was not married to her.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
121 reviews
7. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

It's your vacation, but I can't imagine using a 24-day vacation to spend 8 days at the Gold Coast and another 16 days in Sydney. I highly recommend experiencing something of Australia besides its beaches. A 3-day trip to Canberra (museums and native wildlife in the Bush Capital) or a similar number of days driving through central New South Wales would give you a good taste of what else Australia has to offer.

Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

We are daunted by the thought of driving there. Someday when I retire, that is my plan. I want to see Dubbo. Mudgee (I saw Mudgee once in the 1990s), Wagga Wagga and all of that. One future trip would be something to do with Perth, the Indian Pacific RR, Sydney and maybe Noosa. Like my home country of the USA, Australia is so big and varied that unless I was going to spend a year there, I doubt I could do more than scratch the surface ... but ... but your points are well received and well taken. I understand what you are saying, but this time, we just want a long return to Sydney and then 8 days on the Gold Coast. Someday I want to just journey all over New Zealand and Australia over say twelve months. Thanks for posting. I like the ideas and the feedback.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 05:15
Level Contributor
91 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

One good reason to see Perth would be to see some of the towns in SW Australia, not too far from Perth. But that is for another trip.

England, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia

Oswald your plans sound lovely and I wish you a wonderful holiday. Do please come back with a trip report afterwards!

kind regards

Carole

Reply to: Planning Sixteen Day Vacation in Sydney, Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted