We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Brisbane

Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
How long to stay in Brisbane

hi guys I'm travelling to Brisbane on the15th of this month but from what I've read Brisbane doesn't sound like there's loads to do. How long do you think I should spend there time isn't an issue but I've booked two weeks in a hostel which I might only stay in for one. What do you think?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
142 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Two weeks anywhere is a long time ... maybe not London or New York.

Brisbane is not a major tourist destination, it tends to be where someone spends a few days before heading for the north or south coast. It's a nice enough city but it isn't an iconic place like Sydney.

I find it a bit odd you have booked 2 weeks without doing some serious research into where you are going ... is Brisbane your only Australian destination?

Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Hi, thanks for the reply. No I'm travelling up and down the east coast visiting places like Byron bay surfers paradise Fraser Island and more. I can change it if I want seeing as though I pay by the week I just wasn't sure where to start and didn't think of how long.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
2,822 reviews
1,371 helpful votes
3. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Even a week sounds way too long for me! Are you staying in the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast anywhere?

Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

I've booked a week now just to get settled in. I've got so much time I most likely will go to the Gold Coast, are the Gold Coast and sunshine a popular place to be? I can't seem to find a lot of Info on them

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
2,822 reviews
1,371 helpful votes
5. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

If you can't find much info on Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast then change what resources you are using! They are two of the most popular holiday destinations in the whole country.

They aren't for everyone but I was just suggesting alternatives close to Brisbane by the beach to get your bearings for the first week.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
142 reviews
61 helpful votes
6. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Sunshine Coast more family, children oriented ... Gold Coast is for families but also caters to adults with nightclubs etc. If you are over 18 I would head to the Gold Coast.

Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Thanks people, I've booked 5 days in Brisbane then on the Saturday I head to the Gold Coast

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Indonesia, Bangkok
Level Contributor
27,404 posts
161 reviews
101 helpful votes
8. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Definitely head for the Gold Coast. Brisbane is somewhat bland and there's not a lot for a tourist to do. I think that even your 5 days could easily be too long, but see how it goes. Hopefully you can cut the time short with your accommodation without any problem.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
21,464 posts
142 reviews
61 helpful votes
9. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

Brisbane is bland? I guess someone from Perth would be an expert on bland so possibly right.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Indonesia, Bangkok
Level Contributor
27,404 posts
161 reviews
101 helpful votes
10. Re: How long to stay in Brisbane

I actually agree with you able58. Perth is also pretty bland and quite expensive as well.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.