We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

citibank plus card

Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
citibank plus card
Save

Hi,

I am travelling to Europe in 3months for 5weeks and I have been researching my options concerning money. eg travel prepaid cards or your bank issued credit/ savings cards. Through out the forums the prepaid cards haven't had many good reviews. Most people mention the 28degrees mastercard and the Citibank plus account for withdrawing money from your account as good options for travelling overseas. There has been countless posts saying that their 28degrees mastercard worked well all over Europe but even though a lot of people recommend it not so much about the Citibank plus card. Has anyone used this card overseas in Europe and has it worked well? was there no atm fees when withdrawing money? Thanks to any replies

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,392 posts
53 reviews
62 helpful votes
1. Re: citibank plus card
Save

I have used both.

The 28 degrees card is a Credit Card. People used to overpay on it and then withdraw money against this as cash overseas. They closed this loophole at the beginning of 2014. You can still withdraw your cash on it, but there are now fees to do this. However as a Credit Card it works just fine , no fees provided you pay it off in full each month. If you don't it has a very high rate of interest.

The Citiplus is a debit card. You load the associated account with funds and withdraw it fee free overseas. I have done this across Europe and in the US, where if you use Citi ATMs there is not even a fee applied by the ATM. (US ATMs are notorious for fee gouging) For some reason these ATMs seem to be in little convenience stores such as 7/11.

I keep track and reload money using the laptop when we are travelling. I also compare the daily money rate with the rate I get on the card and they are very close, so really no hidden poor exchange rates like you get on the various Travelcards here in Oz.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109,501 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: citibank plus card
Save

With the Citibank Plus account, Citibank does not charge any fees for overseas ATM withdrawals and gives a good exchange rate.

If the overseas ATM has a fee for using it (as many do in USA), you have to pay that fee.

The 28 Degrees and Bankwest Zero Mastercards are credit cards that can be used to pay for purchases overseas with no fees and a good exchange rate. They are useful both for travelling and for Internet purchases.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: citibank plus card
Save

We have used the 28 Degree Mastercard and Citibank Plus Debit card for a number of overseas trips in recent years, including in countries such as Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Denmark, Norway, Latvia and Russia, and also Singapore and Hong Kong. We have had no trouble with either card and liked the fee free conditions; ATMs were easily found wherever we went. Highly recommended.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
47 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: citibank plus card
Save

I have'nt used it in Europe but I have used it in Mexico and USA and would definitely recommend it. No fees, good exchange rate, easy to keep track of your balance with the phone app.

We did have to pay ATM fees for the Mexican ATM's but much less than the fees on a prepaid card.

Edited: 6 years ago
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
79 reviews
90 helpful votes
5. Re: citibank plus card
Save

went in to the Citibank branch in the city last week to ask about fee free ATM withdrawals overseas.

it is fee free with the Citibank ATMs but sometimes they are not too common in some places,

happy to find out that withdrawals are fee free at ATMs with the PLUS logo...see the logo at the back of your card (if you have one)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
79 reviews
90 helpful votes
6. Re: citibank plus card
Save

just back from Japan where our Citibank card was used at Citibank and at ATMs with the PLUS logo.

we were charged a fee for each transaction. about 3 % of the transaction

I think that all Japanese banks charge a fee for ATM transactions....is this correct?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,392 posts
53 reviews
62 helpful votes
7. Re: citibank plus card
Save

Can't comment on Japanese banks fees though in any country where I have been charged a fee it was a flat rate per transaction, not a %. I just looked at the Citi site and there were 87 branches or ATMs in Japan where you could have withdrawn fee free.

For others who may want to know where these are, go to the Citi website, then click <banking> then <global banking> then <travelling overseas> then <find us> under ATMs and Citibank locations. Then enter your location. We travel to Portland OR and they have no branches, but they do have several Citi ATMs located in convenience stores.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
53 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: citibank plus card
Save

I can't speak to Citi ATMs in Japan, but I have checked some bank statements from my last trip there where I exclusively used Seven Bank ATMs (at 7/11 stores) with my NAB Visa Debit. I can't imagine other banks' cards would be treated differently - they are all foreign to Seven Bank.

Example withdrawal was 30000JPY on 24th November 2013. The amount charged was 330.61 AUD plus a separate 4 AUD fee (NAB's foreign ATM fee). Using the Visa exchange rate calculator ( http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-benefits/travel/exchange-rate-calculator-results.jsp ), the rate on that day was 1 JPY = 0.010804 AUD, or $324.12. Or if recalculated with a 2% foreign exchange margin, which is what my NAB Visa Debit should charge, the rate should be 0.011020 , or $330.60 - only $.01 different from what I was actually charged.

Therefore I think it's pretty clear that Seven Bank did not charge any ATM fees, at least back in Nov' 13. And I can't see anything on their English web site that says they do now.

Edited: 6 years ago
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
47 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: citibank plus card
Save

I don't know about Japan either. In Mexico the fee varied from bank to bank, but was usually around $2-3 I think, and a flat fee no matter the amount you took out. The fee is charged by the bank that owns the ATM, not Citibank.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
53 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: citibank plus card
Save

I should note this calculation also shows the savings if I had a Citibank plus card - I would have saved both the $4 fee and about $6 of exchange margin on that transaction. So far I don't travel internationally enough to make this occasional savings worth the hassle of another bank account, but it's certainly something worth considering.

USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.