We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Campervan

Hi.

Im going on a roadtrip from Melbourne to Brisbane for 14 days in a van. I have been looking at Jucy's "CRIB" model and STA-Travels "THE KUGA".

Does anybody have any experience with these vans? pros and cons regarding these vans? Or should i get something completely different?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan

Juicy vans seem like crap in my opinion. They are quite small once U bring your luggage etc...

I would suggest am Apollo camper van that has a little bit more room. They also have a higher ceiling.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan

Apollo seem a bit expensive with a minimum of 18 days rental.

Other suggestions?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan

You should do a search of these forums using the van company name before deciding to rent any van.

There is (unfortunately) a very clear correlation between price and quality in van rental companies.

This website has a reasonable synopsis of the relative merits of major van companies. Note that some don't even get a mention, IMO, because they fell off the bottom of the list. www.discovery-campervans.com.au/suppliers.php

Luigi

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,356 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a lucky dip.

There are some horrible stories on the forums about vans from both Juicy and Apollo. However, a young couple we knew from the UK travelled round Australia in a Juicy van and they loved it and had no complaints.

As a general rule Luigi is correct. You get what you pay for.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,738 posts
1,336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan

Have you thought about not using a campervan but just hiring a normal sedan & staying in our beautiful oceanfront caravan parks with self contained cabins up the coast ?

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisb…

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan

the original post stats, 'Im going.....'. If indeed it is one person travelling, with not excessive luggage, the Jucy vehicle should be fine. Note, even in much larger vehicles its easier to manage backpacks than a couple of hard suitcases. Jucy are a well reputed business in NZ where they originated. And one of the pioneers of the sleeper van style vehicle. I havent heard the Australian operation is much different. But as suggested search the forums for reports, remembering even the best and certainly most larger businesses will have someone things didnt go quite right for on the day. Economy and ease of driving should be another plus of the type of vehicle being discussed here.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campervan

My post (and probably Eva's) was entirely in response to replies #1 and #2, not to the OP specifically.

8. Re: Campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 01:32
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Campervan

I had a horrible experience with Lucky Rentals in New Zealand. I want to scream to the world not to rent with them because of the huge loss in $$$. When I ended up doing the math, I found that it was actually cheaper to rent a car and then stay in hostels. However, this only works if you are traveling by yourself or with one other person and child free. If you have more than 2 people and / or kids, the campervan is cheaper. However, you are paying for what you get, which isn't much.

Just a helpful hint. Have the employee turn everything on, including the items that run off of electricity. I didn't do this and ended up with two vans where nothing worked.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
23,956 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campervan

Did you just assume New Zealand is close enough to Australia, and just decide to post on the first campervan thread you found?