We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cover more SIM card

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cover more SIM card

Cover more has offered a free SIM card for our international travels. I looked at the cost for calls and SMS and they appear competitive. It will be very convenient as we will have a single number for our travels across 4 countries. Has anyone used the Cover more sim, if so what was your experience? I would really appreciate your responses.

169 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cover more SIM card

Aren't these brand new? They come free with travel insurance? I hope you can give us a review when you return... sim cards etc are a real pain if you are doing multiple countries.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cover more SIM card

Not having to change SIM cards in every country we land in, is the attraction of this card. Will post a review when we return.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cover more SIM card

We thought we'd try it and organised a nano sim for iPhone 5 only to find it doesn't work here in Italy. Maybe France? So we are lucky we had a different standby sim for another phone.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,010 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cover more SIM card

I agree with able58, it will be most interesting to find to hear of their experience.

Covermore must be piggy backing off someone, as I highly doubt they would have commenced their own service in the telephony industry. But, I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cover more SIM card

Apparently, they use the Optus Network.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cover more SIM card

Thank you for that information. We do have a standby Sim for one country. Will give it a go. Somebody has to be a guinea pig for new products.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cover more SIM card

In the middle of a trip right now. This thing is a waste of money and caused nothing but frustration. The prices are fine and it worked well for the first two days in France, but after that it stopped working completely. Kept getting the "You are not registered on this network" message. Tried it in my wifes phone and same issue. When trying to search for networks, they all appear as "Forbidden Network". Tech support was no help at all. They kept telling me it was a profile issue with my phone, despite the fact that it did not work in my wifes phone either, and even after making the profile changes they suggested were causing the problem it still didnt work.

Once we got to Italy it started working again, but one by one, the networks listed (when searching with the phone) went from "Available Network" to "Forbidden Network" over a period of 2-3 days until they were all Forbidden and we could no longer use the phone .... again.

It seemed as though the sim was locked out of each providers network until we were unable to connect to any of them and I said as much to the tech support people who said they would look into it and try to resolve the issue, but despite these promises it never worked after being "Forbidden" on any network.

Stay right away from this thing until they get it working properly. Since we needed the phone to confirm some of our accommodation and travel arrangements as we went, this product was nothing but hassle and frustration.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cover more SIM card

Hi I am currently in the UK trying to use the Covermore sim card provided with my insurance. It is useless and complicated to use without any success so I've wasted $50 of credit now...I would not recommend and I will now go and buy a prepaid UK sim card.

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cover more SIM card

I totally agree with RJS968, I have one and loaded it up with credit only to have endless frustration with it.

They say use the * to dial, yet I have found it only works if I use the + sign like its an iPhone ....no it is not an I phone because in France Only dialing 00 before the number worked.

Then it only lasted two days and then could not "register on a network" going through the manual search each time (as the automatically select network tells you you are registered to a network...but you are not) is time consuming and frustrating when each one comes back as "unable to connect to this network at this time,please try later" . Like above if you do manage to register it will only work for a day or so, then stop. (it searches for a local network to use, not just Optus ).

I have been able to use it in England & Italy - Rome, but not Venice, 1 day in France and not at all in Austria or Switzerland. I can't even call the help line for assistance as I am "not connected to a network" lol and the FAQ's don't offer any real assistance on this issue.

I will say, when it does work, it is very cheap.....but really, REALLY not worth the frustration.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 17:58
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cover more SIM card

All the details are here

http://www.globalsim.covermore.com.au

I got offered one with my current insurance but didnt bother with it - I stick with Skype or Viber.

Reply to: Cover more SIM card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted