We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Like the title suggests im seeking some feedback on travel insurance with Virgin (underwritten by Allianz). This particular service has only been around for a few months and am curious if anyone has used them before? I tried googling but search came empty. I plan to travel to the United States and Canada in May- July, Was considering Southern Cross but found out virgin were a fraction cheaper. Appreciate any replies, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

If it has been available for only a few months, there probably are no reviews yet. This may be a good sign, as people who do not have problems generally do not feel driven to post about this.

Read the policy document carefully. Allianz is a major insurance company, so you can be reasonably certain that it will cover the things stated in the policy, and absolutely certain that it will not cover things that are not listed.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Hi, I just have had a horrible experience with Virgin Travel Insurance. I have submitted my delay baggage claim and have sent them all the receipts and other supporting documents. However they are not only could not find my insurance policy in their system (founded finally after half an hour on the phone with me) they also began asking me for the all the original documents I have sent them before and told me that they have lost it and I can't claim anything without it. So, I strongly recommend to anyone NEVER USE VIRGIN TRAVEL INSURANCE at all. They have got such mess in their systems and files that it looks more like robbing then service they providing.

Jelena

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

I had a bag stolen on a train, the bag was in a baggage area on the train and it was a Virgins Train. You are not allowed for healthy and safety reasons to keep the bag with you. They did not pay our due to the bag not being with me, so how would that work if your luggage was lost on a plane? Avoid avoid avoid

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Any experiences with Virgin Travel Insurance in the UK will have no relevance to Virgin travel Insurance in Australia. The two products will almost certainly have different underwriters, and there are significant differences in the regulation of the insurance industry.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Don't do it!!!! I paid out near $600 for a family of 5 for travel insurance for a 2 month holiday. When I purchased I was told there would be a $150 excess which I was fine with.. but on return when I've sent in my claim forms the truth came out, it was a $150 excess on every item claimed over $150 : for example.. my daughters medical expenses were $170 and our damaged luggage cost was $180 they minus a depreciation value off the luggage, minus there excess fees and I'm being sent a cheque for $32.

When I questioned what was happening I was politely told it would all be explained to me in a letter through the post....

will never use Virgin again !!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Was that not disclosed in their policy?

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback but im pretty sure sydneynick is right. Virgin travel Insurance in Australia is completely different from the one in the UK. When i did my research i did find feedback for the one in the UK but not the Australian company which had only been around for approx 6 months at the time i was looking. After i purchased the insurance i realized that they had some exclusions eg. some sport activities. Whereas Southern Cross included those in the cover without additional cost. So something to keep in mind is always check the PDS. I recommend for all Aussies out there to also checkout canstar and choice.com.au to find a suitable travel insurance that is value for your money.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,209 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

Sound advice about Canstar, it's usually the benchmark assessment for financial products.

canstar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/tr…

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

AVOID AVOID AVOID - BAD SERVICE AND YOU DON'T GET HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT

I bough Virgin travel in 2013 and was plagued with problems. I bought the higher end package, but could not get through to their help centre when we needed assistance. Then this year, they debited another hundred pounds from my account saying I has set up an automatic renew facility (it's in the fine print and you have no choice) Sigh, they act like dodgy rip-off cowboys, do not use them if you know there is a better option. They are not worth all the hassle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Money Travel Insurance - Feedback?

onecubit, your reference to "pounds" and your location as London seems to imply you are talking about Virgin Money in the UK, is that correct? If so, please consider withdrawling your posting as this is the Australia forum and the discussion is about Virgin Money Australia, which is an entirely different company, and the travel insurance product is totally unrelated.