We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

I extended my holiday in Australia to stay longer to look after my grand children as my daughter got ill. My evisa is still in date, but didnt even think about the 3 month ruling, and now have realised that when I fly out next week I will have overstayed my 3 mths by 4 days.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what were the consequences if any, I am flying out of Perth and now extremely worried as I fly here every year to stay with my daughter?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

Asking for legalities on such matter maybe more appropriate by directing them to your embassy or consular services rather than a public forum.

We absolutely wish to help but our word holds little weight with matters of foreign affairs, as we are not the authorities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

As it is an Australian immigration issue I'd suggest you ring them or check the website about slight overstays.

www.immi.gov.au Telephone: 131 881

The reality is they are really interested in overstayers who want to illegally work here.

If necessary get a medical certificate from your daughter's doctor to present (a copy) to immigration as you depart, but that is a general suggestion and you need to get the specifics from Immigration themselves.

Cheerz Wabster.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/…

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

Thanks for your replies, I haven't over stayed my visa that is still in date, I have over stayed the 3 months that you are allowed to be in Australia.

I have never extended my holidays here before and it was just a genuine oversight, I knew my visa would still be valid and just forgot about the 3 month issue.

I dont think the bridging visa would apply as mine is still valid. I am hoping that they can see when I check in that it is just an oversight and dont take it any further.

Just wondered if anyone else had done the same thing and gone through Perth airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

It would not matter in the slightest if someone else had done it previously - all cases are dealt with on an individual case by case basis.

Under no circumstances take advice on a subject like this from random strangers on the internet when the results can affect your ability to ever return here. (Beyond of course the correct advice to contact DIMIA)

Call Immigration - thats what they exist for.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

This is on the immigration web-site ...

Persons who overstay their visa by more than 28 days may become subject to an exclusion period that prevents them from being granted a temporary visa to travel to Australia for three years. This exclusion period applies whether they leave voluntarily or not.

So do not get upset yet... contact them and let them know your circumstances. And as Wabster said.. get any pertinent information together.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,313 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

For what it is worth, one of my sons was dating an American exchange student who managed to overstay her student visa by 4 days. As she was leaving Australia, her passport was stamped to show a three-year exclusion period.

Which is why my son and his now wife live in Portland, Oregon, together with our only grandchild.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

As advised already, contact Immigration. Unless flying early Monday, do it prior to going to airport, so it is you telling them you have made a mistake, not them saying caught you, that's the rules, there goes the do not return stamp, now stop holding up the departures queue.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

Also have that proof (medical certificate) your daughter was sick.

And maybe worth your daughter contacting her Federal Member of Parliament, saying Mum's worried, explain and see. It can't hurt. We elect politicans who have staff to help when we have a government related issue, Immigration is federal so go there. We have federal election this year where every vote will be important and a lot of uneasy (about their future) politicans. I doubt she would be brushed off.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 17:45
West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Overstayed my 3 months in Australia by 4 days on and evisa

Just to update my post, my overstay was flagged up at Perth Airport as soon as I went through customs, I had to go and speak to a Border Control Officer, he said that my visa had run out, but I explained that it hadn't and I did have a copy on me.

He said he would ring the immigration office who obviously said that my visa was ok but I had overstayed my 3 months in Perth. I apologised and explained the situation, and luckily he said as it was only 3 days they would let it go this time.

Moral of the story is don't overstay AS IT WILL BE FLAGGED UP. Although I overstayed totally without realising, I will always double check in future and it definately won't ever happen again.