We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

greyhound australia Buses

Valencian Country...
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
93 helpful votes
greyhound australia Buses
Save

The worst company in the first world. The buses are really old, the Ac doesn´t work. They arrive always late

Night travel is a mess, very unconfortable. Even in Vietnam the bses are better and 5 times cheaper than Greyhound Austalia Buses

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,149 posts
84 reviews
83 helpful votes
1. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

<<The buses are really old, the Ac doesn´t work. They arrive always late>>

ALL the buses are old? You traveled on every one of them?

NONE of the a/c on any of the buses works?

EVERY bus arrives late?

How many bus trips did you take to come up with this monumental generalization?

Barton, United...
3 posts
2. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

Never ever use this company !! After being charged $350 twice for the sydney to cairns hop on hop off bus tour the bus didn't make it to Byron Bay due to the floods in January. It travelled a very uncomfy 6 hrs to them head back to Sydney and arrive at 6am with no where to stay. Their response was, you'll have to re-book!! No good if your not there long enough! Did i get my money back?? No, have i recieved the money back for the additional $350 that was taken by the travel company who i booked through- NO! I lost £1000 on this trip due to them taking no responsibility with the trips being cancelled due to floods. I will never, ever use these companies again. The travel company was Travel Bugs in Sydney. Great when you book but when you want something back from them, like my money, they don't even bother to reply by email !! Ruined my australia trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
32,373 posts
3. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

"have i recieved the money back for the additional $350 that was taken by the travel company who i booked through"

Sorry, who took the money?

And you lost £1000 as a result of one cancelled journey due to floods? Of course, it's entirely Greyhounds fault, they most certainly should have foreseen the floods, as its absolutely normal practice for bus companies to have meteorologists on their staff.

If a flight was cancelled due to a snow storm, is that the airlines fault also?

I think perhaps a little reasoning and common sense could go a long way here.

Barton, United...
3 posts
4. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

The travel company took two payments for the bus. They said that it was their error and they told me to send an email to a refund email address, which i did there and then. I have heard nothing from anyone. This was over a month ago! I have today sent another email to both the refunds email address and on the greyhound website to see if i get any response.

Not Greyhounds fault at all in regards to the floods and me not being able to get to the places where i had booked the trips. My insurance company said it was up to the bus company to refund the cost because it was their choice to return. It certainly isn't my fault either.

I would like the duplicated cost of the bus returned to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,373 posts
5. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

“greyhound australia Buses ”

Title of the thread.

"Never ever use this company !!"

Your opening sentence of your original post.

"The travel company took two payments for the bus"

Your opening sentence for your second post.

Again, who did you pay money to? Greyhound or the travel agent.?

"Not Greyhounds fault at all in regards to the floods and me not being able to get to the places where i had booked the trips"

You said it yourself.

Considering the circumstances, what does your insurance company expect them to do? Drive through the floods? Could it be an even slight possibility that Greyhound does not have your money at all, and its still with the travel agent?

Absolutely you're entitled to a refund, but posting a thread with a statement along the lines of "never use this company" would seem a little unfair no?

Barton, United...
3 posts
6. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

Think of my frustration. I have had no reply from anyone, including Greyhound. Yes, ok perhaps "never use this company" was slightly harsh. All i want is second $350 back!!! I'm sure if the weather was great, everything would have been spot on.

I paid the money to the travel agent !!! Who liase with Greyhound and both are not replying! What else am i suppose to do?

How do i go about getting a refund when no one is talking to me??...so this thread is my frustration! I'm pretty sure that the travel company will transfer the money to Greyhound to pay for the tour, don't know when but i can imagine its within a month! My ticket reference is a Greyhound ticket reference. At the end of the day Greyhound have been paid twice for a tour that never happened. I do not expect a refund for the cost of the bus, act of God and all that, but i expected some customer service for the extra money they have recieved. Since this is a new month, i'm sure their month end accounts show an extra $350. The travel company told me Greyhound had my money and they had to wait for them to confirm to give me it back.

Floods are floods and no i'm sure they don't expect a bus to drive through floods, your sarcasm isn't appreciated ! Do you work for Greyhound? Can you help?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,373 posts
7. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

No I don't work for Greyhound.

I suggest keeping your dialogue (one way but still) open with that travel agent. Continue writing emails and then advise them you'll lodge a complaint with Fair Trade Australia.

byron bay
1 post
8. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

WARNING never travel with this company they dont pay their contractors i have been out of pocket for materials and wages.THIS COMPANY WILL STEAL FROM YOU.advoid them

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
9. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

I recently travelled on Greyhound busses from Darwin to Adelaide on a hop-on-hop-off ticket. My booking number is 11952922, and my ticket number is 749504. I paid $464.10 for the ticket. I'd just like to provide an account of the experience I had.

16 Dec 2013: Darwin - Alice Springs

Our first driver, Don, was very pleasant and polite. He told us many interesting facts about the stops and pubs as we went along and got us safely to Dunmarra, where there was a switch of drivers and John took us the rest of the way.

John was rude and unhelpful. Around Tennet Creek, there had been a fatal accident, so the highway was closed indefinitely. John woke us up and dumped us at the nearby BP, driving off himself without instruction or explanation, nor did he tell us when he would be back, or where we should meet. We stayed at BP from 430am till about 1030am - waiting a whopping 6 hours. I understand that the accident and subsequent road closure was unforeseen, but your driver should have explained things to us rather. When John came back without warning and told us to get on the bus, I went to the bathroom and he said to me, "You've had hours to use the toilet!" What right does he have to say then when I had no idea when he would even be back? When I asked politely when we're re expected to arrive in Alice Springs, he rudely replied, " I've just woken up and have a lot to think about right now, other than when we arrive in Alice." I found his behavior shockingly unacceptable.

18 Dec 2013: Alice Springs - Coober Pedy

This next driver did not introduce himself. He made us board the bus and let us sit in the heat without switching on the engine or the aircon in order to "make a point". He barked orders at us such as "You are NOT allowed to get off at the stops unless I SAY SO. You are NOT allowed to close the aircon vents." He was unbelievably condescending and rude. He slammed on the brakes as we were pulling out as a passenger had showed up then and he proceeded to yell at her before letting her on board.

19 Dec 2013: Coober Pedy - Adelaide

This driver yelled at me for not registering at the office before (we've never had to do that before and we're not aware that it was a necessity) even though it as there half an hour before boarding. He also placed my partner and I in separate seats even though we were traveling together.

Whilst we were en route to Adelaide, he made stops at places where the toilets were locked up, and did not bother informing us that the toilets would be locked. When other passengers and myself went to ask him, he just replied, "Yeah they're all shut right now." Unhelpful and disagreeable.

I have to say that this has really spoilt my experience on with Greyhound. If their company is concerned with improving customer satisfaction, I've suggested that they provide their drivers with some training in customer service. I understand that the job is a tiring and rather stressful one, but as a customer, I'm upset to have been treated with so little respect. It would also be better for them to standardize the check in procedure and assign seats to people who have booked in advance.

Australia, for me, has always been associated with friendly, easy going laid back people. This has been an awful experience that's left a bad taste in my mouth, even though I love traveling overland to see more of a country and meet more the people. Next time, I'll either drive or just fly rather than travel with Greyhound again.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
10. Re: greyhound australia Buses
Save

My friend and I travelled from Sydney to Cairns on the greyhound bus. On the six bus journeys we took only one of them had Wifi which is greatly advertised for the Greyhound buses, if you don't have it, don't advertise it. We did find it a good way of travelling up the coast and it was reasonably priced. But the food and toilet stops we made were always in old school service stations. My friend and I thought that the drivers or company must have deals with these service stations as they would always go outback into the kitchens and this was the reason we always stopped there. These service stations were always extremely overpriced and not just over priced for a back packer. The food was also very "interesting", at one place i had a muffin that tasted of salt and only salt. in another place we stopped my friend ordered a coffee and we she took the lid of there was a fly floating on the top.

The bus drivers were all extremely moody, and one even decided to stop the bus on the side of the road half an hour after we had stopped for a meal break to do a dump in the toilet in the back of the bus making the whole bus stink for a good few hours.

The advice i'd give is to travel with this company as it is a good way of getting around but make sure you go to supermarkets before the journey as any food you need to buy on the way will either be over priced or just not very tasty.

USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.