We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

We will be towing a caravan and wonder what the road is like and how steep it is. We travelled from Dorrigo to Coff Harbor and feel this road a bit steep to tow a caravan back that way. We have to visit Macksville on our way from Gold Coast to Canberra and want to avoid travelling through Sydney so need some advice about the best inland route.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,345 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

It's generally a good road with very little traffic. However at about the half-way point between Port Macquarie and Walcha you have to climb the Great Divide and it's a bit winding and steepish there. However, it is much better than the Dorrigo road.

My concern would be that it adds considerably to the overall distance as you are heading back northward a bit and it really doesn't solve your problem of avoiding Sydney. You would still need to head down the Putty Road from Singleton and that'll deliver you to Windsor and the long ringroad (Narellan Road) around western Sydney.

IMO, you are much better off following the highway all the way south to Hornsby, then via Pennant Hills Road to the M7 (e-toll) which takes you all the way to Liverpool and onto the M5 - with almost no traffic once you're off the short bit of Pennant Hills Road.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

Goldcoast to Mackville. Then to Port Macquarie. If your next stop is Tamworth then the best route is the Oxley hwy via Wauchope and Walcha. No need to go anywhere near Sydney, which is a long way out of your way.

I have travelled the Oxley Hwy from Walcha to Port, but a few years ago. The road is step with curves in some parts. Your alternatives are not pretty. Not to many roads across unfortunately.

If you take your time, I think this is the best way to get to Tamworth.

Someone else will no doubt give you up to date info, I just wanted to point you in the general direction.

Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

Thank-you for taking the time to reply. I suspected the information you have given me. I think the best option is going our usual route through Sydney via P hills road. If we aim for the weekend hopefully not as much traffic.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,345 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

The best time to do the Pennant Hills Road is any week day between the peak hours. It'd be a nightmare in the morning peak hour especially.

Weekends (especially Saturday) can be busy-ish at any time, but that's when I usually travel there, too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

Unless you really have to do the Port Macquarie to Tamworth leg, I wouldn't want to be towing a caravan around some of those bends on the Walcha road.

Too many stock transports use it, too. Those guys are good drivers, but a BDouble takes up a fair amount of room and there isn't much to spare on some of those bends.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

You should have no problem towing a van up the range from Port Macquarie to Walcha and then through to Tamworth. Good road & not as steep as the Dorrigo way. The section up the range is a winding road so you will have to take your time.

Some good spots to stop on the way though like Long Flat and there is a cafe on the range itself. Walcha is an interesting stop and there are a couple of good rest stops on the road.

It's probably not as easy as the pacific highway and the westlink through Sydney but its a much more interesting drive.

7. Re: driving from Port Macquarie to Tamworth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:15