We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

I'm traveling to Perth in a few days on business. will be there for 2 days. was thinking of taking a flight to Sydney for a day and half before going back to states. Is it worth it. When I anticipate going to Australia for the first time, my first thoughts are seeing Kangaroo, Panda's, etc. and the beautiful beach and any other amazing must see things while there.

After looking around on what to do in Perth, I didn't get much out of it. So I assumed the draw to Aussie is in Sydney since most people I know going to Aussie is to Sydney..

I'm just trying to make the most out of my first trip to Australia.

Advice please.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

Sydney to Perth is a 5 hour flight. A little less going the other way because of tailwinds. Although I love both Stdney and Melbourne I'd say it's not worth the trip for a day and a half. Plenty to do and see in and around Perth,Fremantle, Rottnest island and if you're keen, a trip to the Margaret River wineries will certainly keep you busy.

Learn to love Australia and save the East coast for next time. If I was in DC would you recommend I fly to San Francisco for a day?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

yea your right. sounds a bit ridiculous. If I live in DC, no I wouldn't go to SF for a day. But if I live in South Pacific, 30 hours away and went to DC, yea I may be tempted to fly to SF for a day or so on my way back. while I'm already on the other side of the world

But yea, I definitely understand what your saying. I'm one of those that try to fit in as much as they can while I'm in the area, b/c who knows when I'll get a chance to get back over to the Australia.

Either way I'm leaving Perth on the same day. My option is to fly to sydney for a day then on to Dubai for 2 days before going back to states. or skip sydney and stay in dubai for 3 days on the way back. (dubai is my connecting country, and I've always wanted to go there too, so I'm stopping for a couple days). I'm just trying to decide if I should take one of those days and explore sydney for day while I'm out there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

Well unless you come to visit Adelaide zoo you will not see pandas in Australia. I believe they are native only to China ;)

BTW unless you are heavily into shopping there is not a lot to do in Dubai. If the choice is DBX or SYD I would definitely choose SYD.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 14:17
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

Hi

You can certainly see quite a lot of Sydney in a day, if you think it unlikely you'll get back in the near future I say go for it!

http://www.sydney.com/

Mia

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

lol. i meant Koala's.. :) see how much i know..

so sounds like it would be best to go to syd for day and keep dubai for 2 days. instead of 3. i heard so much about dubai..

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

Hi rsingleton,

if your impression for what to see in Australia is kangaroos and beautiful beaches, then WA should suit you just fine. If you mean Koalas rather than panda's then you would be seeing those in a zoo type situation as well and you can do that in WA as well.. Sydney can show you platypus, Perth can show you numbats. If it's "other amazing things" again WA can show you plenty.. Visit Kings Park. One of the really extraordinary things about Western Australia is their unique flora. So why not visit the zoo, go to the beach, chill out with a beer watching the sun set. Perhaps take a trip to Rottnest Island go for a walk in Kings Park. Your time is done.

To be honest the idea that you need to fly 5 hrs to get to Sydney because you can't find great things to do in Western Australia and need to make the most of your very brief perhaps once only time in Australia is .. well.. I have to say it.. it's just ridiculous!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

sooooo - what is it that you have heard about Dubai that makes it so attractive? I spent 4 days there in 2009 and was totally bored by day 2 despite the fact that I was also spending time with a beloved niece who has lived there for 4 years. But then again I am far from being a shopaholic.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

The airport itself, Atlantis, Ski Dubai, The options for SCUBA (i'm a scuba diver)., indoor roller coaster, the skyscrapers, the desert, food, and just all the royalty sightseeing, i guess to name a few. mostly, i've just heard about how nice it is over there. everyone i've spoke to has said they loved it.

9. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 19:35
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Perth - is Sydney or Melbourne worth visit

If you are a SCUBA diver then you may want to have a look at this. westernaustralia.com/en/Things_to_See_and_Do…

WA has some of the top dive sites in the world.