We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Following our fab trip last year we are planning another.

Last time it was.... Fly into Cairns, week there, Fly to Sydney, Two weeks there, Drive to Melbourne via Canberra, week there, Fly to uk.

A lot of that trip was to catch up with friends/relos which we don't need to do again (much as I love them)

I've been watching the TV prog "Wanted Down Under" a lot and the area between Sydney and Brisbane looks appealing

So the plan would be Fly into Brisbane, meander by car to Sydney (I want to go there again as I love the place) Fly back to uk.

We could have four weeks.

Allthough I lived in Sydney for three years in the 70s I never visited the Gold/Sunshine coas,and would like to incorporate that. . What's it like?

What do you think.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

I think that sounds like a good plan ... just need to convince SWMBO to join you !!

My only thing is that you seem to have allowed a week in Melbourne following your drive from Sydney ... did I read that correctly? I think you could easly spend several days driving between Sydney and Melbourne and stopping in maybe in the Southern Highlands overnight and Canberra for a couple of days, maybe Rutherglen if you want to sample some wines, or Beechworth for a day .. so if you factor in those stops, will you have enough time in Melbourne?

Have you had a look at the drives on the right hand side of the page as there is a lot of info in there which may be of use to you.

As for the Gold Coast - the beaches of golden sand stretch for miles and in Surfers Paradise is filled with high rises. Lots of people (tourists) go to the GC if they have kids so they have easier / quicker access to the various theme parks there.

When we go to the GC, we stay towards the southern end ... we have stayed near the main street end a few times but I prefer the southern end.

There are a few attractions there that may appeal if them parks don't. Apart from the obvious - the beach, there's O'Reilly's, Currumbin and opposite there, a place that sells all things with honey. The GC is quite a laid back area IMO so its fine to chill out for a few days.

The Sunshine Coast is north of Brisbane and I have to say I prefer it. Again there are beaches and a raft of things to keep you occupied such as day trips to various places including Maleny or even up to Bundaberg / Fraser Island if you wish...just depends how many days you want to spend there.

Here are a few links for you

www.visitsunshinecoast.com.au/default.cfm

http://www.visitnoosa.com.au/

www.eumundimarket.com.au/About/about_us

http://www.visitgoldcoast.com/

http://www.oreillys.com.au/

http://www.cws.org.au/

http://www.superbeetourism.com.au/maps.htm

Which months are you thinking about coming here Trickster?

Edited: 06 February 2012, 10:20
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Ditto Dougo's comments, especially about SWMBO.

Fly in to Brisbane, get a car drive to the Sunshine Coast for a few days, like Dougo I prefer SC over GC.

After a great few days at SC head towards the GC for a few days, then head towards my all time favourite beach environment, Northern New South Wales. Wonderful drives, not great distances between stays, also plenty of inland places to see and stay if desired.

Have a read of the TA Trip Report, just complete in reverse order of course.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

http://www.visitnsw.com/

May and October are great times to do this tour, May is just outside the heat and before the oncoming chill, and October is just over the chill and before the oncoming heat, and you’ll miss the Queensland and New South Wales school holidays.

publicholidaysnsw.com.au/school-holidays-201…

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 06 February 2012, 11:23
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Hi,

Another vote for flying into Brisbane & hiring a car to drive up to Noosa (Sunshine Coast) spend a few days there & head down the coast through the Gold Coast to Byron Bay. (Nth NSW). Drop off car at Brisbane Airport.

www.goldcoastaustralia.com/scenic-drives.html

sunshinecoast-australia.com/sunshine-coast-s…

www.byron-bay.com/byronbay/gettingthere.html

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Thanks Dougo, Rob and Ellemay.

No Doug, I don't intend to go south of Sydney this time. We enjoyed the trip down via Canberra and staying on the Mornington Peninsular last time, but there's only so much you can do. I have read some of the road trips previously posted about Brisbane to Sydney, and it all sounds very nice.

I've opened initial negotiations with SWMBO and she has thrown a spaniard in the works by saying that she's always wanted to visit The Land of the Long White Cloud. I spent two months there with the previous Mrs Trickster in the mid 70s when we broke our journey back from Oz. Thought it was nice and laid back, allthough I believe it has got more busy since then.

So perhaps the proposed Oz trip won't happen.

Dougo... I did respond to your welcome back to the forum message, but made the mistake of rambling on and on about other things as I'm apt to do, and the post got zapped. Thanks anyway

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Hi Trickster,

I know I saw that it got zapped ... shame it was a good read.

Oh well, if the "new Mrs Trickster" wants to go to NZ, I have to say I can't blame her ! We'll miss you but you gotta do what you gotta do !!

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

You never know, we might do both while we're down that way.

The New Mrs Tickster isn't that new. We've been together a fair while and I don't intend trading her in for a new model just yet. We met.....I'm rambling now ... must curb this obsesion.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

Hi trickster,

2 weeks Aus and 2 weeks NZ would be great.

I would leave that spaniard behind, 3's always crowd : )

Edited: 07 February 2012, 22:38
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

LOL Rob,

and Trickster, don't let SWMBO read post 6.

Let us know if you can change her mind about coming here.

9. Re: East Coast Brisbane to Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2013, 19:27